Make your name the ONE name they all know!
1. Be THE expert - The are loads of ways to do this....Have a blog where you post great info for consumers. Write articles for your local paper or local style magazine. Get "in" with the local TV and radio stations by providing them with a steady stream of story ideas. Etc
2. Be EVERYWHERE - See #1 above, plus....Be at as many local events as possible where you can mingle and meet people. Have shirts with your name/company embroidered on them so people know your name/business. Have you business cars on every bulletin board you can find.
3. Be Supportive - When working with clients, make their lives as easy as possible. Foresee their needs. Support their decisions and offer your advice. Help them outsource jobs/chores when possible. Etc
4. Be Understanding - Buying and selling is hard on the consumer. It's emotionally, financially and physically stressful. Understand that and do whatever you can to make it easier for them.
5. Be A Problem Solver - Every listing is different and each seller will have different circumstances. Things can and will come up with every transaction. Make a name for yourself as the agent who can creatively and easily respond to every situation and every curveball.
6. Be Creative - Have unique ways to market properties...For example, you can make entertaining videos of each listing to post on Youtube (and all your social media!)...using a style that fits your personality or one that fits the property's personality: goofy and fun, serious and dramatic, or whatever suit you. You will be sure to grab attention that way: "oh yeah, (s)he's the agent that does those crazy videos".
7. Be Connected - Know your industry, know your city/town/neighborhood, know your colleagues. The more you know and the more people you know, the better you can serve your clients and the more clients you will have/
8. Be Responsive - If a client calls, call them back asap! If they want to see a house today, do everything you can to make that happen. Even in a bad market, 24 hours may make all the difference!
9. Be Outlandish - Stand out anyway you can (see video idea above). Wear a costume to open houses...not just so they will remember the house, but more importantly, because they will remember you! Do anything adn everything it takes to stand out...whatever that may mean to you.
10. Be FUN! - This is perhaps the most important, because if you are boring, if you are quiet and reserved, your prospects and your clients won't get any energy form you and energy from other people makes us feel good and makes us want to be around them.
I'm sure you've got some too....please chime in in the comments!