2012 Western NY Farmers Markets have Rochester NY real estate owners in a frenzy.
Farmers markets are being swarmed by live "fresh" eating carnivores and vegetarians alike. Monroe, Ontario & Wayne County Farmers Markets are starting to bust at the seams with an abundance of freshly picked fruits and vegetables.
Heres a list of 2012 Western NY Farmers Market Locations:
I have included address and phone numbers for you to call. Usually Western NY Farmers Markets are open 6am or so on Saturdays, some on Sundays and a few mid-week only.
- Canandaigua Farmers Market. Parking lot near the corner of Lafayette and Niagara Streets, Canandaigua, NY. 374-5389
- Fairport Farmers Market. Fleet Bank parking lot, South Main St., Fairport, NY. 223-6795
- Greece Ridge Center Farmers Market. 271 Greece Ridge Center Drive, Greece, NY. 225-1140
- Hanna Junction Farm and Craft Market. 2471 State Route 21 North, Canandaigua, NY. 394-7740
- Macedon Farmers Market. Town Hall / Public Library Complex, 32 Main Street, Macedon, NY. Wed 4p-7p 585-377-3116
- Palmyra Farmers Market. Palmyra Village Park, Main Street, Palmyra, NY. Tues 3p-7p 597-0011
- Rochester Public Market, 280 N. Union St., Rochester, NY. 428-6907
- Victor Farm Market. Mead Square Park on Rte. 96 between School and Maple Streets, Victor, NY. Wed 3p-7p 742-6320
- Webster Farmers Market. Municipal parking lot. Main Street Rte 404 and South Avenue Rte 250, Webster, NY.
- The Windmill Farm & Craft Market. Penn Yan, NY. Directions: Take Exit 42 and follow Route 14 South to Dresden. In Dresden turn on Route 54 to Penn Yan. Turn Left on Route 14A. Travel South on Route 14A. The Windmill is on the Right. (315) 536-3032. (included this for the entire family. A little drive but Beautiful scenery)
My favorite is the Rochester Public market for just the quantity of fruits and vegetables, amount of people to meet/ watch and of course the good amount of exercise one gets from walking to/from your car. I would put Fairport public market in second position for quickness of getting through the 5-7 rows of stands-but parking can be limited. If you don't care about variety or need to get in and out quickly then you may want to choose others. Feel free to let me know your personal preference and maybe I will highlight that one in another blog.
Rochester NY real estate owners get there early.
Bring those nice re-usable shopping bags or pull carts. Some use wagons or those creatures with two arms and legs called children. There's a great math lesson to go with it.
Advantage of using local farmers markets over the big stores:
- Most of the time cheaper
- Giving the money back to local growers
- sharing the experience with family
- social gathering of friends and making new friends
- knowing your vegetables are freshly picked and not packed
How many times you drive to a large food chain to get top of the line produce at top of the line price? Who are you serving?
Yes you are supporting your neighbors and friends who work there for paychecks. How about supporting the little guys who keep prices down for you the customer and relies on your next week. How about getting locally grown fruits and veges until yours in ready to be harvested? Go to your local experts for your fruits and vegetable and you might just learn something or make a new friend.
Hope to see you all bright and early on the weekends.