Why do they call insurance folks and realtors agents?

Home Inspector with WWW.ExecutiveRestoration.Com

I have always wondered about this.

Would the proper term not be sales rep?

Insurance folks and realtors are both selling a product or service.

Thank you,

David Snell


Comments (6)

Terry McCarley
Coastal Real Estate - Cape Coral FL - Cape Coral, FL

I always refer to insurance sales people as "insurance agents" so perhaps things are different here in Florida than they are in North Carolina.

Jun 07, 2012 01:34 AM
Robert Butler
Aspect Inspection - Montreal West Island, QC
Montreal Home Inspector | Aspect Inspection

'Percieved value'. Yup, just like the realtor near me who likes to market herself as catering to the 'carrage trade'. She won't send a mere inspector when she can send an engineer, or better still an architect.

(Both of whom are normally too focused and specialized to do a full and thorough inspection.)

The favorite 'word' here is 'broker' for both real estate and insurance agents. It's percieved to be a level higher than a 'mere agent'.

Cheap marketing that fools few.

Jun 07, 2012 02:44 AM
Jon K. Judd
Keller Williams Realty - Central Delaware - Dover, DE
GRI, e-PRO, SFR, Delaware Homes

I've always called my insurance people "agents".  Call your insurance agent!  As for a Realtor, I prefer to be called a consultant, but that's my choice.  On the phone, I ask, are you currently working with an "agent"?

Jun 07, 2012 05:22 AM
Tammy Emineth
Personal SEO - Website SEO and Real Estate Marketing - Marysville, WA
Content Marketer, SEO Teacher, Website Fixer

Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?? The age old weird question! HA HA

Jun 07, 2012 06:18 AM
David Snell 704.545.0098
WWW.ExecutiveRestoration.Com - Charlotte, NC

Tee hee hee on that Tammy.

Jun 07, 2012 06:23 AM