What's Killing Your Dream of Becoming a Homeowner?
People still dream of owning a home someday. But besides those that are already carefully planning for that big event, what's keeping you from achieving that dream? What is it that is killing your dream of becoming a homeowner?
No really. This is not a rhetorical question. If you dream of being a homeowner, and you believe that dreams do come true, the first thing you need to do is identify the dream killer, institute a plan of action to slowly but surely put a stop to the dream killer.
Here are some dream killers that I can think of off the top of my head that will get in the way of your home ownership dream, and some possible solutions that you can put into place. I believe in miracles, so even if you believe that it's going to take a miracle to make it happen, then surely it's still achieavable.
DON'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY
That's definitely a valid reason. But here's a secret, money can always be made with an honest day's work. If you currently work and don't make enough money to purchase a home, think about ways you can increase your income. Even if you don't make a lot of money, there are programs available to assist low income "potential" homeowners. Habitat for Humanity comes immediately to mine.
- Are there opportunities for promotions in your workplace?
- Do you need to build your skills to increase your chances of being promoted or be in line for more equitable pay increases when the time rolls around for annual increases?
- Are you in the right job or even the right place?
- Can you find a job somewhere else that pays more?
- What about education? Would going back to school increase your chances of being more marketing?
- Do you handle money responsibly?
- Do you use a budget? If not would you be willing to try it?
- Is there something that you could give up? Say going out with friends once or twice a month instead of every weekend?
- Can you take your lunch to work instead of eating out everyday (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Are you living pay check to paycheck just so you can drive a Bimmer? Guess what? Chevy can get you from Point A to Point B too (and for a lot less).
- How about instituting a debt reduction plan?
- Years ago, I use to tape my credit report on the wall in my closet so that I could see it every day. I would target one debt at a time to pay off, pay down or eliminate a blemish such as delinquency, charge-off, collection etc. As I recall, it only took me about 2 years to do this and boy I can still feel the pride that I felt.
- Are you living outside of your means? You know what I mean? Gucci taste on a Wal-Mart budget?
- Are you trying to keep up with the Joneses? (Impossible if the Joneses "got Gucci taste AND a Gucci budget."
- With some effort and hard work, it can become a reality for you
- So what if it take you five years to get there. Where will you be in five years if you don't make the effort?
- Dreams to come true.
- You are worthy of your dreams
- Miracles do exist
- Let go of what's holding you back and grab hold of what can move you forward.