Where You Live Matters

By
Home Inspector with Executive Restoration LLC 704.905.9152

          One of the most important aspects to consider when it comes to mold is the humidity or moisture in your home.  Those of us who live in the South know that our climate is most often hot and wet.  This produces a great chance that there is excess moisture within our homes, and anywhere there’s a high level of moisture, there is likely to be mold.  Of course, the logical thing to do is to control the amount of moisture in the home.  The amount of moisture required to produce mold, however, may not be great, and it need not be spread throughout the home.  Mold can be caused by something as simple as a spill on carpet that’s not properly and immediately cleaned up and dried.  The padding beneath the carpet and the wood beneath the padding can grow mold as well as the carpet itself.  Clothes dryers that are not properly ventilated to the outside of the home can cause mold.  Rooms that are colder than other rooms in the house can have excess humidity and thus produce mold.  Fans in bathroom or attic areas that are not functioning properly to remove humidity from the home can produce an excellent habitat for mold to propagate.  The steam produced from hot showers and is not dried off of the walls can form mold on the upper part of the walls where the steam is. Even leaks in the roof that allow water to drip to the inside of the home can be sites for mold.  Property owners also need to be aware that mold can grow on sheetrock and within walls.  If a pipe leaks within a wall and is not treated immediately, there is a good possibility that mold will grow hidden within the wall. It takes only 48 hours for mold spores to begin growing and reproducing at a staggering rate.

          Since there are so many different types of mold, it may be difficult to decide which type of mold you may have, and there are many different types, some more dangerous than others.  Depending on your allergy sensitivities, some harmless molds could cause severe aggravation. But you can be sure if you see discoloration of any surface within your home or experience a musty smell that you cannot account for, you may certainly have mold.  This means that it is time to contact someone who is a professional to help you diagnose, treat, and remove the problem.  It’s important to your health and to the integrity of your property to find and remediate the issue as quickly as possible.  The most important thing to do is to listen to your body. If you are experiencing abnormal allergy symptoms that just won’t go away, a mold inspection is a quick cost effective way to put your worries to rest. 

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
ActiveRain Community
Tags:
water leaks
mold growth
mold inspection
mold damage
mold clean up
moisture build up

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
647,735
Team Honeycutt
Allen Tate - Concord, NC

Thanks for sharing that information on mold and mildew. It is something that we take special care to watch out for and correct if we get the problem.

Betty

Jun 24, 2012 06:56 AM #1
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainer
99,181

David Snell 704.905.9152

Certified mold inspector and mold removal services
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information