You might think that a closet is a closet no matter how big or how small. Thing is... a closet could just be the most important room in the whole house. If I'd known when buying my house how important closets would become over the years I would have chosen a little more carefully. You see.... our closets are so much more than a resting spots for currently unused items. In fact, I'd garner a guess that they have very little purpose in that direction at this point in time. Want proof? Here are the top ten uses for our bedroom closets.... (and why life just wouldn't be the same without them!)
10. Closets are just short names for FLASHLIGHT CHECKER ROOMS: For reasons beyond my understanding closets are the place to check and make sure that every flashlight in the house works. You cannot know if they work properly by just turning them on... it MUST happen in the closet. Usually our closet so we can all fit.
9. Closets are FUTURE CLOTHES ROOMS: You know the clothes that fit today? I promise for anyone under the age of 16 they won't fit next week. A good deal of our closet space is allocated to size 7, 8, and 9T clothes. You know the 'hand me downs' that we so cherish and last seasons clearance finds that will fit down the road. They must go somewhere... and closets are the perfect place.
8. Closets are great for a PANTRY: For those of us that don't "buy" a pantry with our homes... it is really accessible and convenient to turn a closet into one. A place to store the canned goods, canning supplies, kitchen cleaning supplies and bulk foods. Of course, if we were smarter and had bought a home with ample cupboard space this wouldn't have been an issue either.
7. Closets are HIDE-N-SEEK ROOMS: You know... that room where the kids ALWAYS hide when they are playing that seek game. The think I like about this room is that the seeker always pretends that he/she doesn't know where the hider is hiding. It's a very special room. Of course, when you are using the hide-n-seek room you may as well bring your flashlight and test it because it's awfully dark inside.
6. Closets are FORTS: I know, I know. There isn't room for one right? Wrong. They make forts amid the clothes, shoes, and blankets stored inside. It doesn't seem to matter that there is like two inches of space to sit. It's special and it's small. That's what makes it such a precious place for a fort.
5. Closets are TOY BOXES: I know this because whenever I ask the kids to put away their toys they throw them on their closet floor instead of putting them away on their shelf. It seems like too much trouble to fix it all the time so we leave it be. When the toys consume more space than the bottom of the closet floor we try and put them away away.
4. Closets are NOT COAT ROOMS: Still scratching my head over this one. For some reason we cannot seem to get our winter coats into the closets. Especially during the winter months. There just isn't space. During the summer they tuck away nicely... I don't get it. I only know that they seem to belong on the back of chairs instead of IN the closet.
3. Closets are SHOE STORES: I am NOT a shoe collector but my kids seem to be. There are four of us and there is a two story layer of shoes at the bottom of one closet. How do shoes add up so quickly? And, why??? Why isn't there a better way to store them than as the floor of the hiding room or fort? That just leaves squished shoes!
2. Closets are essecially JUNK ROOMS: It is that one spot in the house that you can put anything that just doesn't belong... the broom, dustpan, rags, wash buckets, dvd storage, exercise equipment storage, games, books, memorabilia, and who knows what else.
1. Closets are for PRETEND? It goes like this: (trust me.... this one is all Judy Schachner's fault... She's the one that wrote Skippyjonjones....)