If you are in the process of moving, you know that it is a stressful time and there are a lot of things that will need to be accomplished before the Moving Day actually arrives. Don’t be stuck without a plan. Use the checklist below to make sure you haven’t forgotten a thing.
Getting Ready to Move Checklist
Moving Tips - 8 Weeks Before
- Get estimates from Moving Companies and/or Truck Rentals.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home to help decide which furniture will stay and what will go.
- Use up things that can't be easily moved (frozen foods, cleaning supplies, etc.)
- If moving to a new city, contact the Chamber of Commerce for information about your new town - your "Welcome Packet"
Moving Tips - 6 Weeks Before
- Inventory all of your possessions.
- Determine what can be sold or donated for a charitable tax donation.
- If moving to a new city, get copies of your records from doctors, dentists, lawyers, vets, etc...
- If changing school districts, make arrangements to transfer your child's school records.
Moving Tips - 4 Weeks Before
- If necessary, arrange for temporary storage of your belongings.
- Clean or repair any furniture, curtains, or carpets that need it.
- Hold a Garage Sale. Use the extra money to splurge a little on your new place.
Moving Tips - 3 Weeks Before
- Start collecting packing materials.
- Start packing your less used items (Holiday or Seasonal Items). Don't put too much weight in boxes.
- Make travel and hotel reservations if necessary.
- Make sure your mortgage company has all necessary paperwork and information before you pack it away.
Moving Tips - 2 Weeks Before
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Plan meals for the last week of the move to help empty the refrigerator and avoid using appliances that will already be packed.
- Assemble a folder of important information about the house for the new owner of your home.
Moving Tips - 1 Week Before
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
- Finish packing and prepare an "essentials" box. Designate several moving boxes and items as "last load" items. Pack your suitcases and valuables separately.
- Drain water hoses and waterbed.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day. Prepare all appliances for loading.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications you will need for the next couple of weeks.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day.
- Schedule with utility companies to have utilities turned on at your new home.
- Check every room, closet and cabinet one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- Take note of utility meter readings.
- Prepare a letter including your new address in the house so that the new residents can forward any left over mail.
- Make sure you notify a friend or family member of your itinerary in case of an emergency or unforseen event.
- Before you start unloading, take this time to look things over and to ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check to make sure all appliances and systems are working properly, and determine if there is a need to arrange for repairs.
- Pick up any mail being held at the post office and verify that your new mail is being forwarded to your new address.
- Place all boxes in or near the room they belong to when unloading into your new home.
- Begin unpacking your necessities first and then move on to your other items.