In today’s market, the main goal of every home seller is finding a buyer to pay the highest price in the fastest amount of time. Creating a positive first impression and showcasing the best attributes of your home are essential to achieve this goal. These 10 tips will help sellers achieve their goals and also shorten the process of selling their home.
1. Price the home correctly from the start. Some sellers like to test the market by pricing the home higher than the marketplace shows, and they end up losing out on buyers who may overlook it due to the price or find another home with the same features for a more realistic price. The Listing Agent will provide a range that is appropriate for the home based on comparable sales and statistics, so pricing higher will not benefit a seller.
2. Organize and maximize space in closets, cabinets and storage areas. When a buyer sees a closet that is half-empty, it gives them the impression that there is plenty of storage throughout the house.
3. Lighten and brighten the home. Buyers love natural light and spaces that do not seem dark. The best ways to create light is to take down heavy window treatments, clean windows, open blinds and turn on lights for showings.
4. Hire the right listing agent. It is important to hire an agent who knows the community in which the home sits, but someone that is easy to communicate with and will keep the seller informed on the changes in the market. Do not be afraid to interview more than one agent to make sure it is the right fit.
5. Hide the fact that there are pets in the home. While most buyers love animals, they do not want to see evidence of them during a showing. Be sure to deodorize, clean up pet hair and store pet food bowls, toys and beds away from main living areas.
6. Minor updates can go a long way with a buyer. These include freshening up paint with neutral colors, cleaning carpets & grout, fixing leaky faucets, changing air filters and pressure washing the exterior.
7. De-personalize and de-clutter the home throughout. Buyers like to feel at home when they view a home and sometimes that is difficult when there are family pictures throughout. Store away personal effects and as needed put excess furniture in storage. Stage furniture in such a way that the rooms look large. The concept of less is more definitely applies here.
8. The kitchen is the biggest selling feature for most buyers. Store items on the countertops so the space looks spacious, change hardware as needed and if needed update appliances and countertops depending on the market in your area.
9. Be show ready at all times. Once you list the home and have it on the market, it needs to be in show condition each day. Train your family to make their beds each morning, keep the kitchen sink empty and always have clean bathrooms. Cleanliness is definitely a factor in a buyer’s decision as a dirty home leads them to believe that the home is not well-maintained.
10. Curb appeal is the first impression. As a buyer arrives to view the home, they first see the exterior of the home. Be sure that the lawn is maintained, clean the front entrance and add some fresh plants and flowers as able.
By following these 10 steps, you will have no problems selling your home for top dollar in a short period of time. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to me for advice.