· Bryan Independent School District and Texas A&M University desire to instill confidence in middle and high school students.
· The two entities partnered together to create GEAR UP.
· GEAR UP is supported by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and seeks tosupport students from low income backgrounds, special education students, and students who are English Language Learners.
· It teaches these students how to study hard andtakethe right courses to prepare them for college.
· Students from Texas A&M University also work with students in the GEAR UP program and are able to relate to the students’ situations.
· College Tips are available.
· GEAR UP also offers numerous online resources for their participants.
· For students who are interested in participating in summer programs, GEAR UP provides opportunities.
· Online resources that help students prepare for college are available.
· The program teaches students about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and how they can apply for it.
· GEAR UP Provides a number of events for their participants.
Students can sign up totake college trips to several different colleges.
· GEAR UP consists of bimonthly meetings for students that are held the first and third Wednesday of each month.
· Students are also given the option to participate in a Student Leadership Team for each high school.
Susan Hilton (979)764-2100
CENTURY 21 Beal, Inc.