Ten Steps For Maintaining Foundations in TEXAS !
My house settled this year a little bit. With the drought last year and the hot temperatures this summer you are bound to have some settling in your home. I, of course, panicked. I am in real estate, I know how to maintain my foundation! It can't settle on me! It was just a little crack, my husband says I am "over reacting" !
I got out this list and reviewed it so I know I am maintain my foundation correctly. I hope it helps you!
- Make sure the soil around your foundation is graded so that the water flows away from the home.
- Avoid trapping water against your foundation, make sure borders let water flow out.
- Place soaker hoses around your foundation to keep soil damp during dry periods. THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Only leave them running for 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Over watering could cause more damage!
- Keep shrubs around the home under 3 ft tall, they need less water.
- Install root barriers to keep the trees from pulling our from under the foundation.
- Use DOWNSPOUTS extensions or splash blocks, very important , keeps water flowing!
- All paved surfaces near foundation must slope away.
- Keep soil 2-4 inches BELOW THE BRICK LINE , this helps hold the water in.
- Test sewer for leaks if it is blocked, this can cause major foundation problems.
- Make sure sprinkler systems and pool circulating systems dont have leaks, again can cause major foundation problems.
# 3 above is one of the most important steps per a foundation structual engineer I spoke too. He said DO NOT leave the hoses on during the football game or all morning!!! This can cause the foundation to be to wet and cause damage. 3-4 times per week ONLY for 20 minutes each time.
I hope this helps you decide if you are maintaining YOUR Foundation correctly!