In the economic crunches we see today, it's important to remember to protect yourself from fraud and identity theft.
It's no longer a question of if your identity will be stolen but when it will be stolen. Florida ranks very high for identity theft.
Here are some hints:
- Cell phones are not save and secure. Be sure to password your phone, back up your data.
- Don't let people scan your cards with the cubed scanners for phones.
- Just because you can do online banking on your phone doesn't mean you should.
- Check your statements for fraud every month.
- Don't click links for sites that are not known to be safe. They often trick you into clicking the link and then download keystroke loggers and viruses to your computer. Your bank will never email you for personal information! They just lock your account and force you to call them.
- Consider asking the credit bureaus to put a lock on your info so no one can open accounts in your name.
- Pull your credit once a year on www.annualcreditreport.com. It's free! Verify all accounts are yours.
This booklet can be shared and has valuable informtion in it for all to use. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/downloads/TalkingAboutIDTheft.pdf
Be safe out there!