Most of us wouldn’t consider ourselves comedians. The sharp wit, impeccable timing and ability to deliver a story or one liner that has people roaring with laughter is really an art form that many of us are glad to leave to those who grace the stand up circuit. We’re content to get a chuckle out of retelling a story or that moment of humor that happens to land in our lap unexpectedly.
So, I was intrigued when I saw an article that was on the American Express Open Forum recently that encouraged businesses to enhance and grow their business by thinking like a comedian. Really? My first thought was, “how can people take your business seriously if you’re acting like a comedian?” Then my thoughts went to the difficulty of being a comedian in the first place, and I felt compelled to read on.
Once I looked over the tips, I understood the comparison and thought these tips would be helpful to you as real estate agents who are always seeking ways to boost your business through social media. Here are a few tips you can learn from comedians!
1. Humor Sells- The fastest way to establish a relationship, build trust and get a customer to value your presence is to make them laugh. Comedians are experts because they are active thinkers. A skilled comedian is confident and aware of what his audience needs. He knows what the next joke in his routine will be — he doesn’t ask the audience.
* As a real estate agent, you should be aware of your clients needs by learning how they think and react to different marketing approaches.
2. Cut to the Chase- When it comes to building relationships, honesty is key. Comedians will cut to the chase and find clever ways to be completely transparent about common day situations. People trust online recommendations, ratings and reviews because they’re from real people.
* Be willing to respond appropriately to negative comments or constructive criticism from clients, especially when they’re online. This allows others to see that you’re not perfect, but are willing to work on things to improve your business. People respond will respond well to the “realness” of your business.
3. Keep it Fresh- So you’ve found something that works. That’s great! Just know that eventually, like any good joke, your content will get stale. Your social followers are your audience, so give them a good show. Take bold risks and experiment with what works and what doesn’t. The great thing about social media is that it’s very easy and requires little resources to switch it up.
* From incorporating videos, surveys, pictures or great information; be willing to keep developing your social media! Of course you want to be consistent with your voice and who your brand is, but trying new ideas within that branding will keep your fans interested and coming back to your page.
Whether you find humor comes easily to you, or you equate your sense of humor to that of a rock; you can put these tips to work for you! Being approachable, honest and willing to not take yourself too seriously is something we all can do in our work.
Need help with creating that fresh content on your social media sites? Let us help! We understand that posting regularly to your Facebook and Twitter pages can be hard enough without having to worry about content on top of it all. That’s why many of our clients are happy to hand over the reigns to our social media specialists who seem to just have knack for it and are in the know on new techniques.
Feel free to contact us today to talk more about your social media needs! We also encourage you to get out there and be yourself! (And you can rest assured that no stand up routine is required!)
Blogging & Copywriting Specialsit