Great blog post from Liz and Bill on how to get the most out of ActiveRain. The issue I see most of all is a lack of strategy in blogging. Liz & Bill highlight the number one question of "who is your target market?"
Once you have a great idea of your business strategy (working with any buyer or seller is not really a strategy), you can come up with a blogging and social media strategy.
Check out the below and check our ActiveRain University for more tips!
Also, today is RainCamp Best of the Best!
Active Rain Not Working For You? Time To Self Assess!
"I'm blogging on Active Rain, why isn't my phone ringing with READY NOW buyers and sellers?".
Obviously Active Rain is broken. Doesn't work. Blogging is overrated. Uh, yeah, right.....
Sometimes it sucks to be a real estate agent. We're by and large a VERY impatient group. We have to wait months and months for closings and getting paid, so when we're prospecting, WE WANT IT NOW! We want to see that direct mailing, that banner ad, that new website, and yes, our blogging efforts, PAY OFF IMMEDIATELY (if not sooner).
But here's the thing with blogging, and this may be the uncomfortable thing to admit, but why Active Rain and blogging isn't working for you requires looking in the mirror and doing a serious self assessment. You need to be honest with your answers and you may find out why your phone isn't ringing (yet):
- What is your target market? Have you CLEARLY identified who they are? You can find a niche, or you can blog to a specific geographic area? Your target has to be broad enough to have a chance of success. Picking that small home luxury development is nice, but really what are the odds that someone is going to find you?
- Are you giving the consumers what they want? They want specific, usable information. What is the market doing? Should they buy? Sell? They may bond with us based on our pets, and our travels and the personal information we share, but there needs to be more to our blog for the best chances of success.
- Is your work sloppy? I know some won't want to hear this, but typos and grammar mistakes can kill you with prospects. A missed letter here and there you can probably get away with, but if your post is rife with errors, they'll assume an error filled life is the one you lead and you can't be trusted with their big time financial decision.
- Do you come across as a jerk? There, we said it. Maybe your online persona doesn't do you any favors. Is your blog filled with rant after rant? Are you perpetually angry and p.o'd? Are you rude with your commenters? You'll lose the agent to agent referrals AND the consumers. For you, perhaps a ghostwriter is the way to go if you can't dial it back.
- Have you taken Bob's courses on SEO and how to write a post? If not, get over to Active Rain University and learn. Listen to the webinars. The keys to success are in there.
- Is your professionalism and success demonstrated in your posts? SHOW them you can present a home well, a neighborhood well, that YOU know your area. Yes, inventory posts are BORING, but let people know you don't just WRITE about real estate, but that you SELL it too.
- And don't expect a quick result. Unless you're EXTREMELY lucky, writing a half dozen posts isn't going to be enough to get that phone to ring. It takes building up a library of pertinent posts to get those consumer calls. Keep at it, be patient, improve your craft and blogging and Active Rain WILL work for you.
We could add more, but we'll keep it brief. Before you assume blogging or Active Rain can't work for you, reassess what and how you're doing it. We had to make adjustments and will continue to make adjustments looking for the best formula for our market area.
Keep on Blogging!
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
The Liz Spear Team
Elizabeth & William Spear
RE/MAX Elite: Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Liz direct: 513-265-3004
Bill direct: 513-520-5305 Fax: 866-302-8418
Buttons created at www.ButtonGenerator.com
Follow us on Social Media:
Social Media buttons courtesy of http://www.chethstudios.net
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map