When you are applying for a mortgage there are many things you should not do because they can affect the outcome of your loan. These remain in effect from the time you apply for the loan through the closing date. Usually your credit, income, assets and employment are verification right before you close on your home. This may not be everything, but it’s definitely the Top 10 Worst Things you can do when you are trying to get a mortgage loan.
1. Quit your job or get another job unless it is in the same line of work and for equal or more money
2. Let anyone to make an inquiry on your credit report
3. Change bank accounts or transfer money within your existing bank accounts without keeping documentation to show a paper trail...ALWAYS HAVE PAPER TRAILS
4. Co-sign for anyone to get a car, credit card, etc.
5. Purchase an auto or take on any additional debt, like new furniture
6. Purchase other real estate
7. Apply for credit anywhere (incl Lowes, Home Depot, Macy's, Etc.) or complete any other credit application
8. Charge any additional debt on any current credit accounts
9. Start new construction or any home improvements
10. Do not dispute anything on your credit report – old or new issues (Do this before purchasing.)
When buying a home Lenders have got very strict guidelins as to what are acceptable to underwriting. So keep an eye on your credit at all times. There are ways to pull a Free Credit report. You are allowed this twice a year.
Talk to a lender or Realtor for advice prior to looking or buying so you know the right things to do.