Nikesh has given some very good points and counterpoints about Pinterest in his post. I have found it to be quite informative and will be looking to use Pinterest more in my business. Thanks Nikesh for the help.
Pinterest Traffic on ActiveRain is Exploding!
There are numerous web posts on Pinterest and using Pinterest for real estate. I have been playing around with Google Analytics looking at traffic sources for ActiveRain this morning, and though the absolute traffic from Pinterest is modest, it seems to be growing faster than almost any other source, including FaceBook.
Below is a snapshot of the growth of traffic to ActiveRain from Pinterest from July 2011 through the end of February 2012. I have intentionally left out the y-axis. Pinterest is not a top 10 traffic source for ActiveRain, but it is driving 10% of the monthly traffic that TWITTER is. That's pretty darn impressive for a web site that has been around for less than a year.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a virtual "pinboard" or a virtual clipboard. You can basically sign-up for an account, go out on the Internet, and then "pin" or upload cool pictures to your pinboard. You can categorize and collect different pinboards. You can trade "pins" from your friends' pinboards. It's the ultimate "scrapbookers" web site. It's incredibly visual. Here is a link to my ActiveRain pinboard on Pinterest.
I LOVE THIS LINK: PINS FROM ACTIVERAIN TO PINTEREST - Check it everyday to visually see what is top of mind on ActiveRain
Who Uses Pinterest?
In the US, Pinterest users are 82% female.
As a Real Estate Professional, Why Should I Care about Pinterest?
In the US, Pinterest users are 82% female. Sorry, did I repeat myself? Those of us in online real estate and real estate in general know that women are critical decision makers in home buying and selling AND the majority of traffic on real estate web sites is female. HGTV anyone?
So connect the dots:
- Women make many of the decisions around purchasing a home.
- Women like real estate pictures and photos.
- Many women like real estate web sites online with photos.
- Women are spending more time on Pinterest.
- SO, use Pinterest as another opportunity to build your brand, promote your listings, FEATURE beautiful pictures AND promote your blog.The great thing about Pinterest is that it features PHOTOS and consumers click on the pictures and click to the blog to get more information.Here are some links to good information on getting started on Pinterest:CounterPoint: Just Say No to Pinterest
Emmary Nicholson wrote a provocative blog post on Pinterest arguing that you shouldn't spend time with Pinterest until there are clearer rules on copyright regarding Pinterest.
NEVER COPY & PASTE someone else's image from Pinterest or any other site and embed in your ActiveRain blog or otherwise. (Had to throw that in here.)
Pinner & Blogger Beware: All rules relating to copyright and plagiarism still apply. Pinterest Terms of Service state that you need explicit permission to use the images. Do not get fined for stealing another's photos online. To be completely in the clear, only use your own images or photos that you have explicit permission to use. The same rules apply to using images and photos on ActiveRain.
Two blog posts on legal opinions regarding Pinterest
Avoiding Copyright Violations on Pinterest via Maureen
Tips from Sara at Savings for Someday:
- Avoid cutting and pasting
- Pin the original source
- NEVER COPY AN IMAGE FROM PINTEREST TO USE ON YOUR BLOG
- Don't perpetuate the wrong owner
- Watermark your imagesGot an interest in Pinterest? Got a Pinterest Strategy for Real Estate?
Follow Me on Twitter or Connect with Me on LinkedIn: