My young sister-in-law called, last night, excited to tell us that she was on her way to her new home with a carload of boxes! She was all bubbly and just overflowing with the bright-eyed thrill of first time home ownership.
And, through her eyes, I was once more reminded of certain resources vital to a successful home search. And, not only resources, but the need for developing strategic partnerships with professionals. She also relayed her and her newly wed husband's need for a gut check before starting their journey. They were scared, nervous, but very excited!
So, here, from her vantage point, were the things she felt were absolutely primary to making her 1st-time home buying a success:
1. Hire me. 18+ years in the business primarily focused on working with First Time Home Buyers!
2. Use on-line MLS search platforms. But BEWARE! There are TOO many out there! The best is one that either automatically narrows the search, like this 1st-Time Home Buyer one, or allows you to input your own search parameters, like this MLS platform. She recommended staying away from 3rd party sites, like Zillow, because oftentimes their listings were out-dated.
3. Read up on the process--but, understand you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet! Here's a free Buyer's Handbook she recommends: Buyer Handbook
4. She ended up buying a foreclosure. It helped get her into a home that fit her mental image, while fitting her purse. I rarely recommend this path to the first time buyer, but in this case, there was such a HUGE gap between perception and reality, that it was inevitable. Foreclosures In Charlottesville Area (by Zip Code)
5. Get Pre-Approved. This is BY FAR ! the most important step. All the other steps had to do with looking at pretty houses. But THIS step ultimately determines whether or not you can even BUY one of those cute little homes. I highly suggest you take the 15-20 minutes to give New American a call.
Senior Loan Officer
1885 Seminole Trail, Suite 100
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Call Danelle, now. This will tell you
-Whether you can even afford a home now, or in the near future
-How MUCH home you can afford
-And what the monthly payments would be.
I want to suggest you go and check out these resources, do your due diligence, get that gut check going!
And then, call or e-mail me, and let's start talking about your dreams and wants and the best way to make them happen!
Sponsored by: Charlottesville First Time Home Buyer