Home to Syndey's Bluff and Cheatham Lock & Dam, Ashland City was officially incorporated in 1859. The town was either named after Henry Clay's estate Ashland or by an act of the General Assembly of Tennessee in 1859 - when the city was incorporated - who were inspired by the ash trees in the area. Originally called Ashland, "City" was added later on. The first major industry in the Ashland City area was the forge operated by Montgomery Bell at Narrows of the Harpeth, several miles to the southwest. In 1835, Samuel Watson established a grist and powder mill along Sycamore Creek, just north of Ashland City. Watson's mill developed into one of the largest powder mills in the South, making it a target during the American Civil War. The mill continued in operation under various owners until 1904. Locals today delight in Cheatham Wildlife Management Area, Riverbluff Park, Harpeth River, Bull Ron Recreation Area and the Main Street strip.
Guess what? We have a Country Cottage right off the river waiting to open its doors!
Written by Stephanie Brake