Are you thinking of installing a water well in Lexington, MA. This article is geared towards understanding Lexington MA Board of Health Regulations. Understanding your town regulations can be instrumental in compiling total project costs when it comes to drilling a water well in Lexington, MA.
1. Permit Info: Well construction permit fee: Domestic $150.00 Irrigation:$10:00
2. Well Location: A plot plan shall be submitted with the application for a well permit to the Board of Health. The following minimum distances are required:
(1) Property line: must comply with the town's most recent setback requirements.
(2) Public or private way: 25 feet from the edge of the road layout.
(3) Driveway: 25 feet from any traveled surface.
(4) Utility rights-of-way: 50 feet but should be maximized.
(5) Septic tank: 75 feet.
(6) Septic system leaching: 150 feet.
(7) Septic distribution box: 75 feet.
(8) Building sewer: 50 feet.
(9) Subsurface drains: 25 feet, but should be maximized.
3. Water Quality testing: Comprehensive water analysis is required. This test includes total coliform, e.coli bacteria, arsenic, calcium, copper, iron, lead, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, alkilinity, ammonia, color, conductivity, chlorine, chloride, flouride, hardness, nitrate, nitrite, odor and sediment, ph, sulfate, turbidity (every three to 5 years)
4. Water Quantity testing: A four hour flow test will be sufficient. In all cases, wells used as a potable water supply must yield a minimum of 2.5 gallons per minute.
5.Real Estate Transfer Requirements: As of now, Lexington, MA does not have any real estate transfer requirements posted. However we strongly suggest getting the water quality and quantity tested to show you are getting a clean, safe, and usable well.
Wells on average in the Town of Lexington MA range from 300-400 in depth however it’s not uncommon for wells to run shallower or deeper hence why it’s called the average. The casing depth averages at 40 feet however deeper pockets of rock are possible.
If you have further questions contact the Lexington Board Of Health at 781-862-0500 x 200