Shannon Millligan is listing 5 safety items that every home should have. Here in FL, the Randon gas is hardly an issue, but in Shannon's Richmond, VA area, that danger is not to be underestimated!
As your Richmond VA Realtor, I have the privilege of assisting you with making one of the biggest investments of your life and want to be sure it, and you, are well protected! Here are 5 safety items I believe every home should have:
1. Radon Test/Radon Mitigation System: Radon is the number 1 cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, yet education is lacking. It is a colorless, odorless gas emitted from the ground. A simple test will determine if your home is over the limits in which the EPA suggests a radon mitigation system. If mitigation is recommended, a system can be installed in your home to disperse the gas outside.
2. Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Carbon monoxide is another orderless, colorless gas that is a silent killer. But, for about $50, you can purchase plug-in detectors from Lowes or Home Depot and if the gas is detected, an alarm will go off. I suggest one for each floor of your home.
3. Rescue Ladder: If you live in a two story+ home, consider investing in a rescue ladder in case of a fire. If all exits are blocked, you simply break a window, hang the ladder over the ledge, and climb down to safety. Consider one for each bedroom.
4. Fire extinguisher: A fire extinguisher is always a good idea to have on hand. I believe in placing one on each level of your home, especially the kitchen!
5. Home inventory system: Should a disaster arise, such as a fire or tornado, rebuilding your life will be easier if you have a secure, on-line inventory of your possessions and their worth. www.knowyourstuff.org
I hope you find these 5 safety items every home should have tips beneficial and if you have any questions or need more information, please feel free to contact me, Shannon Milligan with Keller Williams Realty Richmond West, today!