Is grammer important? Please reply!

By
Real Estate Agent with Netpro Realty 01360322
Ok, I know no one likes to see alot (a lot) and random run ons.  However, I thought no one would really care about typo's etc.  But I should not jump to conclusions.  Does the community think one should proof read before posting? Sometimes my laptop jumps around in my text and adds letters where they do not belong.  Sometimes I get going too fast and put a space too early...to oearly or tool ate.  Do you care?  if you do I will clean it up.  Let me know.

Comments (8)

Brian Burke
Kenna Real Estate - Lone Tree, CO
Broker & Advising Expert-Denver Luxury Real Estate

Personally I like to read "clean" blogs without typos, it sure always looks professional, but I know - since I do it too, that typos sometimes happen and I try not to worry too much about it.
Even after proof reading some typos slip into my blogs and I always welcome someone to correct me since it drives me nuts that I have typos. And I do go and correct all that I can find after posting. I'd hate to have somebody (read potential client) read my blog and think I can't spell!!! ~Rita

Jan 21, 2008 05:19 PM
John Coker
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia Beach Home Inspector

Nate, I understand what your saying and feel your pain. But you need to put this in perspective. For example, as a home inspector, I put myself in a report mind set when posting, thus grammar is VERY important. Also, since this is a public website and potential customers could see your posts, isn't it in your best interest to be correct. If the first impression you got of someone was multiple spelling and grammar mistakes, what other mistakes do they make?

I also appreciate every correction sent my way as it only improves my skills. If we were on a World of Warcraft guild forum discussing how we were going to kill Dragon X, well grammar and spelling isn't that important. Don't take the corrections as an insult (unless the are a jerk about it of course) and carry on. But to answer your question, here in this setting, yes I do care, as here we are professionals looking to expand our business base through contacts, training, advice and information gathering. 

Jan 21, 2008 05:21 PM
Mary Warren
Las Vegas, NV
I personally think you should proof-read your blogs.  You can NEVER make a good frist impression.  90% of people won't notice the errors....but the other 10% WILL NOTICE,  GUARANTEED!
Jan 21, 2008 05:22 PM
Nate Secor
Netpro Realty - Newport Beach, CA
Ok, the jury is in, and I have to start proof reading.  It seems blogs are not the place for the fast and the furious.  With that said, Mary Warren, start proof reading.  It is first impression not frist impression.  i am just kidding, or course.  Gramatical mistakes are something that can bug me from time to time, but typos don't usually bother me.  I did ask the question to see what was considered acceptable, and I received my answer.  Thank you!
Jan 21, 2008 05:34 PM
Nate Secor
Netpro Realty - Newport Beach, CA
Thanks again for all the comments.  I have decided that I will proof read and write my best.  I prefer to write how I might talk, but I'll have to save that for another day.  Thank you! 
Jan 21, 2008 06:38 PM
Dennis Home Inspector Home Inspection - NY, Brooklyn,Queens
Olympian Home Services - Home Inspection - Brooklyn, NY

Yes I agree with everyone else.  Proof reading your posts is a good practice to use when you can.

Dennis Kanakis

 

Jan 21, 2008 06:58 PM
Tara Colquitt
Tara Colquitt, The Credit Woman, LLC - Philadelphia, PA
Credit Counselor

I read everything 3 times, but I know I am anal about typos and grammar. But I still consider content over errors. We can all make mistakes time to time.

And if English is a person's second or more language...well, I just applaud their ability to converse at all. I know I can't in their language.

Jan 21, 2008 09:27 PM
Eric Webster
Five Star Real Estate - Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids, MI, Five Star Realty
It's extremely important!  Spell-check helps a lot, but is not foolproof.  Many people won't notice the errors, but for those who care, it's a very big deal, and a poor reflection of your ability, your attention to details and your professionalism.
Jan 21, 2008 10:29 PM