Are you thinking of installing a water well in Framingham, MA. This article is geared towards understanding Framingham MA Board of Health Regulations. Understanding your town regulations can be instrumental in compiling total project costs when it comes to drilling a water well in Framingham, MA.
1. Permit Info: Well construction permit fee: $100.00
2. Well Location: A plot plan shall be submitted with the application for a well permit to the Board of Health indicating the proposed location of the well, all building, boundary lines, septic systems (within 200 feet)
□ Wells shall be located at least 15’ from any public or private way or street and 10’ from lot lines and 100’ from any leaching system or any other such greater distance as may be required by the Board of Health.
□ Well must be properly curbed and covered to prevent entrance or contamination and to divert surface drainage away from the well.
□ A pitless adapter shall be provided such that the permanent watertight casing of the well shall terminate a minimum of 18” above finished grade and/or the elevation of a 100 year flood.
3. Water Quality testing: Comprehensive water analysis is required. This test includes:
Total Coliform Bacteria Sodium Hardness Arsenic (Total)
E-Coli Bacteria Alkalinity Nitrate Lead
Calcium Ammonia Nitrite Potassium
Copper Chloride pH Flouride
Iron Chlorine Sulfate Radon
Magnesium Color Turbidity
Manganese Conductivity Odor/Sediment
4. Water Quantity testing: A four hour flow test will be sufficient. Quantity requirements include
□ There shall be a minimum yield of 200 gallons per bedroom per day at 20 lbs. P.S.I. at the highest fixture serviced. A bedroom shall include undeveloped area that could be made into a bedroom.
□ Pressure tanks for individual home installation shall have a capacity of 30 gallons per bedroom serviced with a minimum size of 42 gallons. The water system shall be able to deliver 5 gallons per minute for four hours continuous running.
5. Real Estate Transfer Requirements: As of now, Framingham, MA does not have any real estate transfer requirements posted. However we strongly suggest getting the water quality and quantity tested to show you are getting a clean, safe, and usable well.
Wells on average in the Town of Framingham MA range from 300-400 in depth however it’s not uncommon for wells to run shallower or deeper hence why it’s called the average. The casing depth averages at 40 feet however deeper pockets of rock are possible.
If you have further questions contact the Framingham Board Of Health at 508-532-5470