With much of the emphasis of marketing being on social media these days; it can be easy for your website to find it’s way to the back burner of your crowded stove. Yet, having a dynamic website is still something clients will look for as they weed through the list of real estate agents and professionals from which they could choose.
While things like Facebook and Twitter are fantastic ways to interact with past, present and potential clients; there’s nothing like having a customized website that allows you to really shine.
A website that’s been customized with every aspect of your brand: from your logo to the specific services you offer, and even down to your “voice”; will speaks volumes to your professionalism, passion for your business and your trustworthiness. While anyone can create a social media page; not everyone will invest the time, energy and money into a website that helps to capture the essence and reliability of their business.
If you haven’t updated your website in a while, or if you find that you don’t even want to spend time on your site; it’s time for a change! As you look into giving your website the remodel it needs; you’ll want to be sure to include these five elements on your homepage as pointed out by tech writer, Cynthia Boris.
1. Contact information- A recent survey by Chantilly, Va.-based local media and advertising research group BIA/Kelsey indicates that nearly 75% of small business websites don’t have an email link on their homepage. And 60% don't have a phone number. These two forms of contact information are key and, as one in the real estate industry, these need to be clearly visible on your home page so people can quickly contact you without having to search for the information. If you have an office, a full address is beneficial to on your home page as well.
2. Images that represent what you do- As a real estate agent, your home page should contain eye catching images of homes in the area or local landmarks and scenery. People want to get a feel that you’re an expert in the industry and know the area, and pictures are a great way to build that confidence.
In our field as Real Estate Virtual Assistants, we’ve seen our share of themed websites or an abundance of pictures of the agent all over, but these can either come across as cheesy or as a shrine to the agent and little to do with real estate. While your picture should be on the website, it doesn’t need to be front and center. Here’s an example of a fantastic home page custom header that we created for our client Sven Andersen with North of Boston Real Estate.
3. Clear navigation with working links- The front page of your site should have a clear navigation system either across the top or down one side of the page. The buttons should be clearly marked with words that correspond to the content on your site and help customers quickly find what they're looking for. Also consider including buttons for area information, FAQs on buying and selling, along with the history of your company.
If any link on your site is not working, be sure to resolve the issue immediately. A broken link portrays that the site is left unattended and reads complacency on your part.
4. An email signup box- One effective way to encourage viewer interaction is with a regular newsletter, free offer or monthly market reports. Placing a signup box on the front page of your website will give people that call to action that will put you in contact with them on a more regular basis and will keep you at the forefront of their mind when it comes to their real estate needs.
5. Social media links- Help customers stay in touch by providing links to all of your social media sites. You can also use feed widgets to encourage instant follow-up as well as social media sharing.
If you’ve evaluated your home page with these five elements in mind and find all of them in place; way to go! You’re on the right path and visitors to your site are most likely enjoying all that your site has to offer.
If, however, you find that one or more of these crucial pieces are missing from your homepage; let us know! Whether you need a customized website header, elements added such as your social media links or an email signup, we would love to help you make those updates.
Please feel free to contact us today for a website analysis and a chance to create a website that gives you the credibility you deserve!
Blogging & Copywriting Specialist