Forest Lakes is a great place to buy a home.
Take it from me, when we were looking to move here, we literally scoped out every neighborhood in a 10-15 mile ring around Charlottesville, and what we found was that Forest Lakes was unique in that it:
Quick Facts about Forest Lakes:
1. Had both the Elementary and Middle schools in the complex - kids could walk to school!
2. Had 2 Olympic size pools - and the one in North even had a water slide!
3. There are 2 sets of professional grade tennis courts
4. There is a workout facility with top-of-the-line machines. There are also exercise classes of all sorts offered.
5. Many micro-neighborhoods built around cul-de-sacs - kid/pet friendly, little or no thru traffic!
6. Also has volleyball, basketball, and soccer facilities.
7. There are miles of walking/biking trails, well maintained and both paved and unpaved.
8. 5 gorgeous lakes for non-motorized boating and fishing.
9. Convenience to all major shopping and services within a mile or two of the complex.
10. Proactively managed by the FLCA so that amenities are managed properly but HOA dues haven't gone up in over 5+ years!
11. Because of the trees and rolling hills, you don't get the feel so often associated with a large subdivision, of houses on top of houses. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to believe there really are 1400 homes in the complex!
These were some of the major considerations we used to gauge Forest Lakes against many of the other major complexes in and around Charlottesville.
Living In Forest Lakes:
We've loved the sense of community, here. We periodically have Pit Fires in our cul-de-sac. All the neighbors bring a food item and we sit around the campfire talking, singing, and enjoying smores.
One of our retirees, down the street, sponsors a monthly Poker Night for the men in the neighborhood. For a $5 buy-in we can enjoy an evening of spirited conversation over grueling no-holds-barred cards!
We really enjoy are our nightly walks around the area, too. From our house we can take a short loop walk or go all the way over to Baker Butler school (about 5+ mile round trip). There are countless possibilities. But one thing is certain, every time we go, we're sure to have to stop and visit with neighbors and acquaintences out enjoying the trails, too.
And kids? My Lord, every day there are herds of children migrating across my lawn.
Activity abounds. And the sounds of people enjoying the pool, or the pop of rackets on tennis balls, or the cheers of families encouraging their kids in the annual Triathalon, or the sound of soccer or lacrosse games, can be heard throughout the complex.
Real Estate Market in Forest Lakes:
Of course, the result of this sense of community, its nationally ranked schools, its proactively managed assets, and geographic beauty, is that Forest Lakes tends to holds its property values many percentage points above others in the area. In fact, the difference between list to sale price over the past few years, in Forest Lakes, has been around -(4.2%) whereas within 10 mile radius it's been anywhere between -(6 to -12%). A pretty big deal.
So, if you buy a home in Forest Lakes, it's bound to depreciate slower and appreciate quicker than a home within 10 miles!
Forest Lakes Homes For Sale:
Currently there are 10 single family homes for sale in Forest Lakes.
Prices range from $253,900 to $559,900
The Average Days On Market (DOM) = 81
See The MLS Listing Sheets For These Homes
In the past 6 months, 32 single family homes have sold, with prices ranging from $230,000 to $522,000
Average DOM = 104
See The MLS Listing Sheets For These Sold Forest Lakes Homes
If you want my opinions and/or viewpoint about life in the community I love, I'd be glad to talk with you. I'm also on the FLCA Board. Feel free to e-mail or call me and I'll give you my personal insight as to why I think life in Forest Lakes is the BEST!