Home Buyers and sellers in Rochester NY and surrounding areas may be wondering whether they want to be a buyer client or a buyer customer when buying a home.
15 Advantages of Buyer Clients VS 2 Advantages of Buyer Customers.
But first some definitions.
2 Important Real Estate definitions for buyers looking to purchase a home in the Rochester, NY area
When you intially talk to an agent on the phone or meet them at a home or open house to look at you are a:
a. BUYER CUSTOMER: A person, individuals, corporation or group who want to buy but who have NOT signed a
Everyone starts out as a customer. All agents at this point must represent the best interest of the seller.
2 Advantages of a Buyer Customer- You are not represented by an agent- The agent must:
1. Be Fairness
2. Be honest
If you go to meet the agent and sign a Buyer Agency Agreement- Exclusive Right to Represent you are a:
b. BUYER CLIENT: A person, individuals, corporation or group who want to buy and have SIGNED a Buyer Agency Agreement-
Exclusive Right to Represent with a real estate brokerage. The agent assigned ONLY represents the buyer.
So what the 15 Advantages of Buyer Clients better than the 2 Advantages of Buyer Customers?
15 Advantages of a Buyer Client- The agent will/can or is Required to:
15. Recommend lower offers
14. Give my opinion
13. Skillfully negotiate for the best and lowest price
12. Do a personalized home search
11. Preview homes for you in advance
10. Point out structural issues & problems with properties shown
9. Seek out For Sale By Owner (FSBO) homes and represent you during the
8. Provide a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) with true market data
7. Educate, advise & negotiate new builds and contract rights for you
6. Dedicate my time soley to your interests and requests
5. Owe you Fiduciary Duties: Obedience, Loyalty, Disclosure, Confidentiality,
Accountability, Reasonable Care
4. Disclose seller information found out during my interactions with agent
3. Required by law to keep your information confidential FOREVER, even if we meet again in a
2. You are actually bringing the money to the table at closing to pay the buyer agent commission
agreed to by the seller anyways
1. The CUSTOMER is NEVER represented and a CLIENT is ALWAYS represented & protected
under the Buyer Agency Agreement- Exclusive Right to Represent
Remember, when you go to an open house or meet any agent at a home, they are required in the Rochester NY area to work in the best interest of the seller UNLESS you have signed a Buyer Agency Agreement- Exclusive Right to Represent.
DONT BE A BUYER CUSTOMER....BE A BUYER CLIENT FOR LIFE. DONT BELIEVE ME? CALL AN AGENT AND SEE IF THEY DISAGREE.
Make sure you are making the 15 Advantages of Buyer Clients work for you VS the 2 Advantages of Buyer Customers!
IF you're a Buyer and you would like to benefit from Certified Buyer Representation (CBR) or want to discuss exclusive buyer agency in the Rochester, NY area give me a call and I will gladly support you in your next real estate transaction.