ActiveRain and Adobe EchoSign Challenge - Definitely Slower than Molasses
I have have had several instances where the document flow was slow due mainly to technology issues with my clients. The situation I will discuss as my entry into the challenge was without question the worst.
This all took place now at least 5 years ago. My clients had made some offers on homes but due to bad luck the sellers did not accept. We finally made an offer when the wife was already back home in the northwest part of the US while her husband was already working here in the Houston area. The husband worked for an IT company who sold systems and he was in the technical department senior management team. Of course he had state of the art everything at his office. However, his poor wife had a very old desktop computer and and even older printer/scanner at home. I am sure anyone who is reading this can guess where the issues arose. The husband told me he planned to buy a whole new setup for their home once they had moved to their new home in Katy Texas.
I sent the contract to the husband via E-mail and that was not easy as my previous Broker’s E-mail system had a small page number limit for attachments on E-mails and this contract containing over 50 pages required several separate E-mails to be sent. I sent my E-mails to the husband and of course there was no issue as he was at work and I received back all the documents almost immediately. Now the real fun began.
I then resent the contract to his wife who as I said was at home in Northwest part near the coast of the US. Needless to say after numerous attempts she could not receive for some unknown reasons all my Emails. This process stretched to over one day. I had already given the listing agent a call to tell her my clients were going to present an offer. The listing agent was now calling me saying what is going on? I could not blame her and I explained the situation as best as I could at that point in time.
I of course spoke to the wife several times. We finally agreed she would give up with attempting to use her bad laptop and printer/scanner as she finally did receive all the applicable Emails but she could not get all of them to print. She admitted then that she was clueless when it came to any of this stuff as her husband was IT expert. He always handled stuff like this.
What to do now that sending this via Email would not work. I asked the wife about faxing the documents. She said the nearest place she knew of was about a 30 mile drive one way just to get there. We discussed the US mail and quickly dismissed that idea as she said her delivery of mail was very slow. We next covered delivery service either UPS or FEDEX. It turns out these two companies back then would only make the run to where my client lived maybe once a week. Having anything sent using them would very problematic from the start. They lived somewhat out in the country. We finally agreed she would drive to the mailbox place ( I will not name the company but most of their locations are franchised owned business). She called the mailbox business and got their fax number for me. The situation is looking better now but 2 whole days have now passed and the listing agent is getting upset with me and my client.
I decided since I have had nothing but problems just trying to send this deal, I would use a local mailbox group that I had past successful past history with their services. They owned a fast fax machine that accurately recorded everything that got sent. I sent off the entire package and felt very good as my fax had exactly the correct number of pages being shown as being sent. Wait a minute not so fast as my client about 30 minutes later calls me and tells me they only received about half the number of pages needed.
I will not ramble on but for the next 2-3 days we had constant flow of documents and numerous phone calls back and forth with my client. All toll she made about 4 round trips to her fax group and I spent well over $200 just trying send the darn documents to my client for signature. After close to 5 days of this nonsense, I had a complete set and I hand delivered the deal to the listing agent as I could not bear to have to deal with another paper document issue. I had also spoke to the listing agent several times each day giving her a progress report. Lucky for me she did not receive any other offers until after my clients had finally arrived and we had a deal.
This was my slower than molasses deal and technology is fantastic as long as it works. If I would have had electronic signature ability back then such as Adobe Echo-Sign the deal would have gone much smoother and with a lot less anguish and stress.The story ends very well as my clients closed on their home and still live ther to this day.
My client had a friend who was close enough geographically that she could have printed out this whole transaction at her home. The friend however did not have a good scanner but had just bought a brand new high powered desk top. My client admitted this to me after we had spent hours trying to deal with both old desk top and fax issues.