If you walked into your home today, would you want to buy it? Be honest with yourself... Many of today’s sellers wouldn’t give their own homes a second look if they were buying today. So, why should the buyers?
When it comes to the luxury home buyers in Potomac, Bethesda and Chevy Chase , Maryland, they want to feel they are getting a great value. Sure, everyone wants a deal but how far are your dollars going? As I have mentioned before, most buyers do not have a lot of money left over to renovate or even upgrade the decor so they are trying to get the closest they can to a turnkey home. We see this everyday in our business.
Consider making one of the following changes to make the buyers come back for a second look:
1. Wallpaper – When your home is full of wallpaper, buyers are literally walking through your house calculating how much it’s going to cost to remove every inch of it. Our advice is to remove the wallpaper and choose a warm neutral paint color in its place. While your removing the paper if you come across a Nutone System from the 1980′s get rid of it too. Nothing screams dated more than a non-functioning Nutone System, not to mention it is quite an eyesore.
2. Window Treatments – if your window treatments are 20+ years old, they are not going to appeal to today’s buyer. Only replace the areas with neutral blinds that you must have covered while living in the house. If you are not living in the house, you don’t need to replace.
3. Appliances – this is an expensive fix but it could land you a buyer. Buyers want stainless steel. The Schuman Team suggested to River Falls sellers to replace their 10 year old black appliances with stainless appliances and it really helped sell their home. See the virtual tour of 7825 Stable Way in Potomac, MD.
4. Landscaping – If your house is hidden from the street, buyers will be put off. We recently had one of our Luxmanor Sellers make their home more approachable by removing several trees and overgrown shrubs. The results were amazing and the house at 11508 West Hill Drive went under contract in 30 days. We also had one of our Avenel sellers remove 2 holly trees before going on the market. The sellers were reluctant to make the change but were thrilled with the results. Click here to see a virtual tour of 9933 Oaklyn Drive in Potomac MD.
5. Furniture - Too much furniture makes a room look tiny. Mismatched furniture makes a room look unappealing. Your real estate agent can help you with this but The Schuman Team’s mantra has always been less is more!
If you are thinking about making a move, call The Schuman Team to schedule a confidential meeting!