Here are some simple, but very important, tips for staging your home to sell from a professional home stager in Idaho, and they apply to homes here in Lethbridge too. If you are looking to sell your home in Lethbridge, Alberta, and would like some tips on what to do, give me a call, 403-795-8783. As Janna writes below, staging is helping your home appeal to as many buyers as possible.
Janna Rankin Scharf, GRI, CLHMS, SFR - Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Real Estate Professional
It's always interesting to see the various reactions I receive from home sellers about staging their homes prior to listing it for sale. Quite often a seller will tell me that they know they should, but they just don't want to, and aren't going to. Then there are the motivated and enthusiastic sellers who eagerly do anything they possibly can, and go the extra mile. In spite of the various attitudes towards staging, one thing is for certain. Statistics prove that staged homes sell faster, and for more money.
Staging is simply dressing your home to appeal to the most people possible. It's removing anything that would be off-putting or offensive. Or distracting. It's helping your house put its best foot forward, so prospective buyers can see its potential and envision themselves living there.
- CURB APPEAL -Just about every list of home staging tips begins with curb appeal. From the condition of your yard as viewed from the street, to the welcoming appearance of your front door, this is the proverbial first impression your home makes to prospective buyers. Clean up the yard! Remove clutter and debris. Perk up the flower beds, prune dead and overgrown shrubs. Polish up the porch with a pretty Welcome mat, freshly painted front door, polished light fixtures and number plates.
- CLEAR THE CLUTTER- Most people have too much "stuff." If you've ever been to a model home in a new subdivision, you know what a professionally staged home looks like. Your "stuff" is a big distraction to buyers. You want them to notice the best features of your home, not the odds and ends, knick knacks, family photos and personal items every time they turn around. Certain objects are a big turn off. Religious items and animal trophy heads on the walls have been known to turn buyers on their heels and right out the door!
- SIMPLIFY- Remove oversize pieces of furniture, as well as unnecessary items. Work to arrange the furnishings in each room so as to allow a smooth traffic flow and pleasant, minimalist appearance. Rooms and closets crammed full will appear smaller. Put what you don't need into storage. Or better yet, donate it to charity!
- PURPOSE YOUR ROOMS - All of your rooms should be staged to their intended purpose. Your prospective buyers need to visualize your home function to its potential. Your living room should not be full of kid's toys, your dining room should not have your sewing table as the main attraction. Sieze the opportunity to show off the features of your home! If you have a bonus space, like a loft or alcove, stage it as an office - something many buyers have on their wish list. Your deck should be staged as if you are ready for your BBQ guests to arrive.
- ATMOSPHERE - Set the ambiance. You want your home to have that warm and fuzzy feeling. Clear the air! Make sure there are no odors from pets, cigarettes, cooking or anything else. Clean the carpets, polish the floors. Wash the windows inside and out and let the light shine in. Make sure no bulbs are burnt out. Take care of any deferred maintenance, and paint the walls if necessary. Prior to showings, set the stage by turning on the lights, and soft music. If you use candles or an air freshener, don't over do it! Subtle is best.
The photos in this post are of very modest homes I had listed, where the wise sellers worked very hard, and successfully, to do all they could to stage their homes for success. I wish I would have taken Before pictures. They had amazing results, with limited resources, which paid tremendous returns!
Janna Rankin Scharf provides a superior level of real estate services to home buyers and sellers in Coeur d'Alene and Kootenai County, Idaho. Visit Janna.ServingNorthIdaho.com to search for homes in the Coeur d'Alene MLS for anywhere in spectacular North Idaho.
No matter how grand or modest your real estate dreams may be, you can turn to me in confidence. Give me a call today and let me know what I can do to be of service to you!
Janna Rankin Scharf AB, GRI, CSP, CNS, CLHMS 208.651.9700