By Lana Bingham
Let’s face it, here in Florida, seasonal changes are experienced a little differently. Rather than apple picking, we head to the strawberry farms and instead of raking up colorful fallen leaves, we concentrate on sweeping up sand that follows us home from the beach. Just because Florida’s fall season is a bit uncharacteristic, it doesn’t mean there aren’t a few fun activities you and your family can partake in.
1. Make It a Movie Night: While northern states are preparing for a long and fierce winter, Floridians are finally experiencing a break from the heat with a bounty of beautiful weather. An outdoor movie night is a great way to get in some quality family time. All you need is a movie player, projector, and sound system. You can either use a large screen or shine the projector against the side of your house. So pick a flick, pass the popcorn, and grab the S’mores ingredients for an enjoyable evening. You may need bug spray or citronella candles and the weather may be a bit chilly at night, so home builders Tampa recommend lighting up the fire pit. If you need help deciding between an outdoor fireplace or fire pit, read our past blog post.
2. Plant Some Produce: Although we love the great deals and fresh produce from our local farmer’s markets, planting your own garden is a fun and environmental friendly activity that the whole family can enjoy. While Dad and son plant, harvest and pick produce, mom and daughter can use the fresh ingredients in new dinner recipes. To learn more about building the perfect garden from a Tampa home builders perspective, read our past blog post.
3. Break Out the Bakeware: One of the best things about this season is the delicious recipes and seasonal favorites of fall. Now that the weather is cool enough to use your oven again, it seems that the aroma of cinnamon, cloves, apples and pumpkins is constantly wafting from the kitchen. Baking provides entertainment for the whole family, so try out a new recipe each week. Here are a few favorites to get you started, Pumpkin Toffee Cookies with Salted Caramel Glaze, Apple Butter Cupcakes, and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.
4. This One’s For the Birds: A homemade birdfeeder is a cool and crafty idea that also benefits our environment. Pinecones and peanut butter make a simple and effective feeder; just don’t forget to add the birdseed. Another option is to use a recycled soda bottle or milk carton. The children will get excited when they see the birds feed from their homemade project.
5. Update Your Dining Décor: Autumn is all about holiday entertaining. With the anticipation of Thanksgiving beginning just after Halloween, your home’s décor must mimic the feelings of fall. Since this November holiday mainly focuses on a delicious and filling meal, accompanied by the entertainment of family and friends, your dining table has a lot riding on it. A colorful and inviting fall tablescape is exactly what you need, and building your own is simple. Gather an orange table runner, seasonal scented candles, a couple of pumpkins, and add a bit of festive fall foliage. Your guests will be in awe of your “gourd-eous” homemade centerpiece.
As a Tampa builder, we know how enjoyable it is to celebrate the holidays in your home. With these family fun activities there is no need to “act” like its autumn. Movies, DIY décor, baking ingredients and your backyard are all you need to make your Florida home become filled with the feelings of fall.
Follow us on our Blog & Social Network -
Javic Blog: http://javichomes.wordpress.com/