Is Radon Gas A Problem In Your Home?
Radon Gas.... you can't see it.... you can't smell it....you can't taste it....
But is it problem in your home? The experts say the only way to tell is to test!
According to the Surgeon General... radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US today! Only smoking, he says, causes more lung cancer deaths.
So what is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas. It comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in the ground. Found all over....It can move up through the ground and seep into your home through cracks and holes in the foundation. Then your home can trap the gas inside where it can build up. It can happen in any building, but the greatest concern for exposure is in your home where you spend the most time.
Because it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, the only way to know if you have excessive levels of radon in your home is to test. Testing is inexpensive and easy. There are different methods, some as simple as placing a charcoal canister in your home for a couple of days.
What if you have a problem?
Virtually every home has some degree of Radon. The EPA has acceptable levels, and action levels... If your home tests above the acceptable levels, you may be able to bring the level down by sealing the cracks and or holes in the foundation..but, more than likely you will want to install a mitigation system. Simple enough and inexpensive (relatively speaking).....There are many companies around that will do just that and will guarantee to get that count down to acceptable levels.
follow this link to find out more..... http://www.epa.gov/radon/