CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES ARE GOOD 4 YOU! IN ANOTHER BLOG I WROTE ABOUT THE ABC'S OF NUTRITION
THE A WAS FOR APPLE! Folk wisdom that an apple a day will keep the doctor away may have some merit!
THE B WAS FOR BERRIES! Berries are nutrient dense and very low in calories.
THE C WAS FOR YOU GUESSED IT - CRUCIFEROUS!
WHAT IS A CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLE???
IF I said cabbage, then you know. The best thing I can say about cabbage is that it is cheap. But hey, if you tell me that eating a large variety of cruciferous vegetables within an overall nutrient-dense diet can provide a profound level of protection against infections and cancer, then you have my attention.
Joel Fuhrman, MD in his book SUPER IMMUNITY, Harper Collins, New York, N.Y. 2011 says just that and further that cruciferous vegetables are ANTI CANCER AGENTS! (See Page 69)
Cruciferous Vegetables Readily available in Abilene Texas are Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, and of course Cabbage.
Arugula, Bok choy, Broccoli rabe, Collards, Kale, Kohrabi, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens and Watercress are also cruciferous vegetables.
Five Core Concepts from Dr. Fuhrman's book are very doable!
1. Eat a large salad e very day.
2. Eat at least a half-cup serving of beans/legumes in soup, salad, or another dish once daily.
3. Eat at least three fresh fruits a day, especially berries, pomegranate seeds, cherries, plums, oranges.
4. Eat least one ounce of raw nuts an seeds a day.
5. Eat at least one large (double size) serving of green vegetables daily, either raw, steamed, or in soups or stews.