Residential Garage Fires - Serious Problem, Simple Solution

By
Real Estate Agent with CENTURY 21 Southern Idaho Realty
Fireman

An Interesting Fact that's probably as true in Mountain Home Idaho as anywhere else.  Did you know that nearly 1/4 of all fatal home fires begin in the garage? These fires are especially deadly because they spread quickly and are well underway before  occupants are alerted to the blaze. 

Gas Cans
, fumes from spills and leaks plus the inevitable collection of rags and boxes provide a ready fuel supply.  (Technical note:  Those propane cylinders for the family bbq stored in the garage fall outside of the fuel category and into that of explosives.)

The Typical Garage also provides several ignition sources from "home brew" electrical wiring to light bulbs that are of higher wattages than the fixture is rated for.

The Substantial Costs of a garage fire become even more significant when the loss of the vehicles that went up in noisy bangs is added in.

Fortunately, preventative measures are simple and inexpensive.

  • Don't smoke in the garage - discarded cigarette butts and matches are a major source of these fires.  Cost $0.
  • Mount a fire extinguisher near (and preferably inside) the passage door between the dwelling and the garage. Cost - $20
  • Install a garage specific smoke detector that will be certain to alert you to the fire. Cost - $20.
  • Oh, did I mention, unless you want to rattle windows across town, don't store propane cylinders in the garage? Cost - $0.

See, just $40 and a little bit of housekeeping and you've just reduced the possibility of serious fire in your home fire by 25%.  Everything should be so easy!

If you're searching for Mountain Home Idaho Real Estate Agents please visit me at www.mtnhomejan.com.

Comments (5)

Danielle V. Lewis
DDR Realty - Newburgh, NY
DDR Realty
This is something that's not often thought about until it's too late. Thanks for the reminder.
Feb 02, 2008 10:49 PM
Kelly Shoemaker
Coldwell Banker SELECT - Broken Arrow, OK
Realtor Broken Arrow, OK
Good Morning Jan ~ Great post.  Perfect time of year to remind everyone about the danger of fires!
Feb 02, 2008 11:01 PM
Kelly Shoemaker
Coldwell Banker SELECT - Broken Arrow, OK
Realtor Broken Arrow, OK
Good Morning Jan ~ Great post.  Perfect time of year to remind everyone about the danger of fires!
Feb 02, 2008 11:01 PM
Kelly Shoemaker
Coldwell Banker SELECT - Broken Arrow, OK
Realtor Broken Arrow, OK
Good Morning Jan ~ Great post.  Perfect time of year to remind everyone about the danger of fires!
Feb 02, 2008 11:01 PM
Anonymous
Andy Taylor
Get point, there is a product on themarket that solves this problem. It's called DoorGard and includes a co2 detector smoke alarm and other features. Works great
Mar 11, 2008 09:25 AM
#5