Fumigating Your California Home:
Whether you're a home buyer or a home seller knowing what to expect during a house fumigation can be helpful. I went through it myself recently so here’s the scoop from my perspective and I hope you find this quick video helpful.
According to what I learned from my fumigation in the State of California:
- In preparation you need to bag (actually double bag with special bags provided by pest control company) all items indigestible, iincluding the items in your refrigerator.
- Plants, and of course any pets (no dead gold fish here) need to be removed from the house.
- You will need to vacate the house because it’s going to covered like a circus tent.
- In CA (not sure about other states) you need to have the local utility company shut off the gas to the house before the tent goes on.
- Re-entry will not be allowed until the house is given the “okay” by the fumigators and that will depend on local fumigation guidelines(and I imagine the chemical used) in your area.
As an aside, if you’re a home buyer and the sellers is the one fumigating a house with a tile roof, talk with your REALTOR about re-inspecting the roof after the tent is removed for potential damage.
And be prepared to lose a few plants/shrubs, depending on the proximity to the structure, it just happens so expect it.
These are just a few of the things you can expect, (from my own personal perspective, not as an expert, only as a consumer) be sure to check with a local reputable pest control company in your area for local/state guidelines.
When you're looking for knowledgeable competent real estate help, contact me, Lynda@PreferredHomeBrokers.com, I'm the Broker & Owner of Preferrred Home Brokers and have been for decades. You can work with me or any of the great Preferred REALTORS.
You can also reach me direct or text (714) 595-1494, and you can work with me or any of the great Preferred REALTORS®. If you're a home seller, visit HomeSelling101.com, it's the place for virtual learning for the real life world of real estate.
CA Broker License #00402040