Have any of you ever heard of the ISYOT effect? It stands for "I See You Out There". As Realtors, we should be thinking of ways we can increase our own ISYOT effect. When it comes down to it, isn't that how we become successfull? Have you ever tried just sitting back and waiting for the business to come to you? It doesn't work very well, does it? (I'm speaking from experience here!) What if instead, we made it our daily focus to see how many "impressions" we could make out there. Sometimes we don't realize how many opportunities we have in our daily lives to get our names out there. There are several ways we can do this:
- Wear your name tag. I used to think this was goofy. Why walk around all day with this silly name tag on that most people can't even see or read? That was until I spoke to more than one Realtor friend of mine who had gotten a customer and sale from their name tag. Since I've started wearing mine regularly, I've noticed that even if they have to squint, people will oftentimes try to read your name tag. It's also a great conversation starter (especially when your name is Sue Boyle! No I can't sing like her!). It's interesting to me how many people want to know who you are and what you do after spotting that name tag!
- Leave your card or pen, etc. with your tip at restaurants. You never know when that waiter might need to buy a house. I have even gone back to a restaurant months later and still seen them using my pen! In addition, they are leaving that same pen with your web address on it (hopefully!) for people to use when they sign their checks. I don't know about you but, I usually check out the pen I'm using if it's got writing on it.
- Get a car wrap. I know these can sometimes be a little pricey but take it from someone who had one for years; you will definitely get business from it! I used to have people call me up while driving down the road for information on homes. Even better than that, on several occasions during listing appointments, customers would say they had seen me around town. I'm sure there were many other instances that I didn't even know about where my visibility paid off. If you want to do it as economically as possible, try stickers instead of a full wrap. That's what I did and it only cost around $500.
- Join your local community groups. There is so much business to be made just by becoming a member of some of these groups. Think about it! Everyone you get to know also has friends, etc., etc. You could join the Newcomers Club if you're fairly new in town, the Chamber of Commerce, and your local B&I group. If it's full, start your own. You do have to try though. It's easy just to sit there at some of these functions and wait for people to come up to you. Get out there and network!
- Get a good website. Make sure you get a really nice website that's up to date and attracts a lot of attention. Our website at www.BuyMarco.com is a good example. Make sure it's easy to use so that customers keep coming back.
These are just a few examples of ways to start your own ISYOT effect. If you consistently get yourself and your name (team name, website, etc.) out there, it won't be long before you're the only name people think of when it comes time to buy or sell their home. Good luck!