What is the best way to sell your Palo Alto home when you have pets? In a word, quickly.
Selling a home in Palo Alto can be stressful for humans, but for pets even more so. It is very disruptive for our pets to have the house invaded by hordes of strangers, food and litter boxes to be put in different places, and to be locked into small spaces.
So what do you do if you are selling your Palo Alto home and you have pets?
Let's start with some things that are not a good idea:
1. Leave a sign on the door saying, "please don't let the cat out" and let the cat have the run of the house. No one will remember and the doors will be left open allowing your declawed, helpless cat out.
2. Leave a note saying, "your adorable little dog is totally friendly so just come in." Your fightened angel may get her tail pulled by a todler and bite. This is not a normal situation.
3. Take away the litter box from a cat who uses one regularly in an attempt to keep the litter smell out of the house.
Some more appropriate options when selling your Palo Alto home with pets.
1. Price your home appropriately so it sells quickly. That way there will only be a week of disruption.
2. On open house week-end have the house open all day, not just 1:30-4:30 so that you maximize the number of people who can see your home and minimize the time you need to make arrangements for your pets. Get your dogs out of the house for the open house and put your cat in a crate if she is not allowed outside.
3. If you are not going to restrict your home to appointment only do not leave your dog loose in the house. Either put her in a crate or the garage and tell people not to go in the garage. Or have week day showings by appointment only and remove the dog for showings.
4. If your cat goes in and out at will make sure you have a picture of your cat near the door so that a buyer does not accidentally let someone else's cat in your house.
5. If you do not want your cat outside put him in the garage or a crate and do not let anyone go in the garage.
It is not fun to sell your home in Palo Alto when you have to think about your pets also, but it can be done. If you need to do appointment only it is not the end of the world. You can schedule showing times ahead of time at your convenience and long open houses. There is so much interest in Palo Alto homes for sale, a motivated buyer will work around your schedule and it will be much easier for your four legged friends.
If you have any questions about selling a home in Palo Alto please feel free to contact me.