One of the benefits of living in Northern Virginia is being next to D.C.
Take a drive or hop on the Metro and head over to The National Zoo for ZOOLIGHTS.
ZooLights is Holiday Fun for Everyone!
More than 500,000 environmentally-friendly LED lights transform the Zoo into a winter wonderland. Lit Animal silhouettes, musical light displays, and a new garden scene light sculpture make for truly magical sights!
Head Over to the Exhibit Building to see the Nocturnal Animals!
The Small Mammal House, Great Ape House, Reptile Discovery Center, Think Tank, and Kids' Farm will be open every night and will be offering special demonstrations and talks.
Here is a List of Rides & Exhibits throughout the Zoo:
- Train Rides around the Great Cats exhibit and views of the Zoo's holiday light displays
- Holiday Photos taken in the holiday sleigh on the Great Meadow
- Zoo Tubing on two 150 foot long "snow tubing" snowless tracks
- Ride the Conservation Carousel composed of 58 animal figurines
- Free costumed character photos with Panda Claws, the official ZooLights ambassador
- See the 12 foot long scale model of the iconic Smithsonian Castle build with over 45,000 LEGO bricks and a display of a special LEGO town with trains, boats and planes!
- Wildlife Model Train Park featuring trains on three levels and hand-carved animal figurines depicting legendary and modern tales and fables about animals
Food and Drinks
Warm up with hot chocolate, coffee, or hot cider or indulge in roasted nuts, kettle corn, cookies, pastries, and gingerbread. Parents can get into the holiday spirit with spiked hot chocolate, wine, or a cold beer, while everyone will enjoy dinner at the Zoo's restaurants with a special dinner at the Mane Grill, which will be serving a hot roast beef dinner with pan gravy, mashed potatoes, and daily market veggies along with its regular menu.
ADMISSION IS FREE!
HOURS: 5-9 PM
Parking is $9 for members; $16 for non-members (or just take the Metro and skip driving & parking)
ENJOY YOUR FAMILY AND MAKE SOME MEMORIES!