“Home staging is a racket.”
During a party, and among people who know that I am a REALTOR, I was asked how’s the market. Typical and most-often asked question.
I responded that the market is picking up, and that we’re encountering multiple offers at over list price. However, that success still depends on price and how the property is presented, and that in many cases, home staging makes the difference.
At which point one of the guests remarked “Home staging is a racket.”
Generally, people have little knowledge of how staging works, how much it would cost, and how much value it will bring to the table.
Reasons why we stage
- One of my clients wanted to repaint to cover nail holes, and because the wife didn't like the colors anymore. But I encouraged them to spend the money on staging instead. Even if they repaint, the next buyers may not like their choice of colors
- Very few people can visualize what a home can look like if all they see are empty rooms. See sample before and after photos of the same room
- Photos would look so much more attractive wihen there is staging. And since photos are one of the most critical factors in selecting homes to view, this takes priority. See “6 Home Photo Tips to Draw Buyers”
- Home buying involves a lot of emotion --- and presenting a well-staged home can elicit the most positive response. Think about it: when viewing model homes at new developments, the models are almost always staged to the hilt with the top-of-the-line upgrades.
- Sometimes, a homeowner’s own furnishings may not be attractive enough or positioned well to use for staging, so it’s best to bring in a professional who can make it happen.
It helps to tell people that staged homes generally sell quicker, and for more than if staging isn’t done. See Staging a Home to Sell Faster and For More Money.
It is so important to keep writing about and telling people how we use the marketing principles when we prepare, present, position and price a property to sell. Staging is a critical part of presentation. See 15 Secrets of Home Staging.