If you have often dreamed of owning your own piece of the lake, your not alone. Table Rock Lake offers quiet and seclusion, and depending on which mountain side your on, it can have wide open views of the lake like the picture above taken on Indian Point, but then other lots that are lake front don't have this kind of view. Why is that?
- First of all Table Rock is a Corp. lake as we say-Controled by the Army Corp of Engineers. That means there is a Corp line all around the edge of the lake, all 800 miles of shoreline.
- Depending on the depth of the hills and slope of the land the corp line can vary. This means the distance between the lake and the owners lake front property can be a short distance or a longer distance depending on the topography.
- Usually flatter pieces have the shorter corp lines and in some rare cases the line can meet the shoreline. Typically on lake front there is a band of trees in front of you(this being the corp property)
- Will the corp let you cut down trees? Yes, but you have to get a permit to do so, costing about $15. The limbs have to be a certain size about an inch and a half in diameter and shoulder height and smaller. This means you can cut down underbrush and smaller growth, but nothing larger. Ocassionally on certain times of the year you can burn the underbrush or leaves and driftwood.
- Have you ever noticed how pristine and beuatiful the hills are as they meet the water on the lake? How the lake homes are tucked away in the trees and not right on the lake's shore? This is why. The Corp. of Engineers does keep a close eye on lake front owners and what they do. But it does keep our lake from being over developed.
- Very important to know, there are new rules and regulations when buying older homes on the lake with old septic systems. Now the septics have to be replaced in Stone County if they do not meet the current codes. Back in the 1970's there were none. This will ensure the lake is not polluted with faulty sewage systems anymore.
- Although there are rules to follow and not everybody wants to live by those rules, owning lake front may not be for everyone. Some choose rather to go with a lake view home and that eliminates any problems with corp. rules. Most property owners here love living right on the water though, It's a good thing to know how to take care of our water ways so we can have a beautiful lake for all of us to enjoy!