According to both Zillow and Realtor.com, the kitchen is becoming a home's central meeting place and many homeowners are working toward creating a warm, stylish, efficient, and comfortable kitchen to serve as the heart of their home. Moreover, the 2011-2012 Cost vs. Value Report from Remodeling magazine says that midrange minor kitchen remodels (costing close to $20,000) get a 72% return on investment. Experts say that efficiency and functionality are the are the driving force for remodeling kitchens these days and will certainly help you update your kitchen into a luxury kitchen.
With that in mind, Zillow writers recommend choosing between two popular and efficient kitchen layouts when remodeling your kitchen:
- The Work Triangle is an imaginary triangle connecting the stove refrigerator and sink. Distances between each point should range between 4 and 9 feet. The triangle should not intersect an island or peninsula.
- The Work Station is a layout that has separate stations for food prep, cooking, baking, and cleaning. Each station should be centered around a major appliance (dishwasher, oven, etc.) and should be big enough to work on (15+ inches of counter space).
Experts also recommend having open-floor plans and suggest looking in design books and magazines for ideas.
Be sure to assess your storage needs when remodeling your kitchen as well. Do you need more storage space? Less? Do you need more cabinets above the counter level or below? It’s helpful to design a kitchen that will help you stay organized and reduce clutter.
Other popular design trends to help you turn your kitchen into a luxury kitchen include:
- Granite countertops are still the most popular choice for homeowners and the most sought after kitchen feature by buyers.
- Decorative and personalized backsplashes utilizing decorative tile, decorative accents, architectural shapes, and raised surfaces.
- Glass-front cabinets that can be used to display delicate China or other decorative pieces.
- Stainless steel and white appliances remain a safe and neutral choice. White appliances have made a comeback recently, and stainless steel continues to be a very popular choice for owners and buyers.
- Dark hardwood floors create a sense of warmth and luxury in your kitchen, and continue to be more popular than ceramic tile and vinyl flooring in the kitchen.
When you are ready to make your next move, contact Reata Realty! We can help you gather all the information you need in order to make an informed decision to Rent or Buy.