This was the end of an old Calgon laundry detergent commercial, and if you don't remember it, I've included the old commercial within this post. But, are there secrets to getting your carpet clean for when you are trying to show the best side of your home?
I have kids and when I had carpets, the worst sound I could hear was when that plastic cup, that I knew was full of some dark colored Kool-Aid, hit the floor. I knew I was going to have a stain forever, and if you are trying to sell your home, your two choices were new carpet, or a really nice rug that comes with the home when you sold it. (Neither are really great choices.)
Well, my mother is a pretty smart cookie and being a kindergarten teacher knows some old tricks to get those stains up before the $0.10 Kool-Aid turned in to a $3000 new carpet.
1. You take about 1/3 cup liquid dishwashing detergent and mix it with a cup of luke warm water. (Don't get the water too hot - Mom said that could shrink the carpet)
2. Find a white cloth towel (White so you don't cause bleeding of other colors from the cloth on to the carpet)
3. Now start to blot the stain from the outside in with the detergent solution.
4. The next step is to have another bowl of just plain luke warm water.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 3 with the plain water solution and the new clean white cloth.
6. Take a third clean white cloth and put it over the stain pressing down to absorb as much of the water you just cleaned with, back up.
Now if this doesn't work completely which it usually did (Once with grape Kool-Aid, I had to take these additional steps)
7. Using an Ammonia and water solution and blotting the spot followed by a vinegar and water solution until the stain is completely gone.
Now, if all this fails then your $0.10 packet of Kool-Aid may cost you $3000 for a new carpet, but I'm really hoping my dear old mom can help you with her ancient Chinese secret.