Jon, Want to thank you for posting this article. I found it interesting and informative on how to plan your Man Cave. Some really great ideas and anyone of those rooms would be a great addition to anyones home.
By Lana Bingham
The Little Rascal’s said it best when they formed “The He-Man Woman Haters Club” and enforced the rules of NO WOMEN ALLOWED! Technically speaking, no women allowed also means no women allowed to decorate, so men are happily left to their own devices and style preferences when it comes to their man cave. While each male varies in personal style and interests, custom home builders Tampa have identified the 5 key factors for designing a man cave.
1. A Well Planned Location: Once you have been granted the “OK” and convinced your better half to give up valuable floor space for a secluded area meant for the opposite sex (if you need help convincing her, just read our past blog about what features women want in a custom home), the next step is to determine the location of your cave. When building a custom home or completing a large home renovation, new home builders Tampa Florida suggest a non-central location, since there will likely be a great deal of hoots and hollers emitting from the cave, especially during football season and March Madness. While new homes in Tampa don’t have the option of banishing men into the basement, your man cave can be placed above a detached garage, in a converted attic space or bonus room, or you can opt for a detached man-suite.
2. A Practical Purpose: The primary purpose of your dude dwelling will set the course for the room’s design elements. So, you must ask yourself one simple question…what will I be using my man cave for? Will it be a Mad Men inspired gentleman’s club complete with a large fully stocked bar and a walk-in cigar humidor; a stately and quiet study with dark wood paneling and walls of bookcases; or a laid-back lounge area for hanging with the guys and watching sports? Furniture, paint selections and fixtures will all be determined by your room’s purpose.
3. A Functional Layout: After selecting the room’s main focal point, furniture layout should be arranged accordingly. If you’re a sports fan, place large over-sized sofas and lounge chairs around the big screen television. Don’t forget to place a coffee table in a central location so guests can have easy access to game day munchies. Make sure seating is both comfortable and durable - leather is a good choice. As an added bonus, new home builders Tampa Florida also recommend incorporating your own bathroom, so all your buddies can do their business without having to leave the cave.
4. A Place To Put Your Junk Collectables: You finally have a place that you can proudly display all of your prized possessions. Make sure to utilize wall space, shelving and display cases for your sports memorabilia, under-appreciated artwork and DVD collection of action films, late-night comedies and war movies. Feel free to throw in a few humorous decorations and accessories.
5. The Right Light: A new home builder Tampa pays close attention to window placement and natural light, as the big game can easily be ruined by a glare on your TV. For the right ambiance, accentuate the room with soft lighting and dimmer switches so that lighting can be controlled when watching movies or sporting games. The right lighting can be achieved with overhead cans - just don’t forget to include a masculine fixture for above your billiard or cards table.
Upon hearing the word “cave”, the terms dark and dingy usually come to mind. Yet with functional design, masculine style, and the right features and fixtures your cave can inspire man-envy among friends and neighbors. Whether you intend to entertain clients, escape for some alone time, or have a guys’ night with beer and foosball, a man cave is the perfect addition for your home. Just don’t forget to purchase a man scented candle for the full effect.
Follow us on our Blog & Social Network -
Tampa Bay’s Only Southern Living Custom Builder
Voted South Tampa’s #1 Home Builder by The Tampa Tribune