Friendswood is rich with history, and residents have always been proud of the historical markers placed around town that point out interesting facts about our wonderful small community.
Friendswood currently has seven historical markers noting interesting information about the area such as the Friends Church Cemetery, the Origin of Friendswood (on Friendswood Drive), and the Importance of the Fig Industry (in Stevenson Park). There are also markers at the Cecil and Frances Brown Home, the Frank J. Brown Heritage Museum site, the 1902 Perry House, and the old Barber Shop.
Soon, Friendswood will be getting seven new historical markers, thanks to the Friendswood Historical Society, and the many individuals and businesses who have donated funds for the new markers.
The new markers will be designated for the location of the first home in Friendswood, at the site of the town’s first business (a general store), and at the site of the town’s first post office. There will also be markers at the site of the fig preserving plant, and the Quaker school.
Other markers will be placed to designate the Main Street fig orchards, and the oldest remaining structure in Friendswood.
These new historical markers will all be placed along Friendswood Drive. As soon as the markers are in place, the Historical Society will announce the date for an official unveiling of the markers.
Stay tuned for an update!