Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: What to Watch Out For!

By
Mortgage and Lending with Guaranteed Rate NMLS ID: 21441

I’ve had an experience with carbon monoxide and although no one was hurt it was a wakeup call.

I also personally know someone that pulled their car in to the garage, was in a rush, and neglected to shut the motor off. Luckily, disaster was averted.

Being aware of this danger is important and we now frequently check the ventilation on our gas dryer.

Any appliance or device in your home or garage, that burns fuel, can produce carbon monoxide. Some causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

1. Dirty chimneys in fireplaces or wood stoves

2. Improper installation of gas stoves

3. Portable heaters

4. Appliances using gas or kerosene

5. Cracked furnace exchange

6. Cigarette smoke

7. Vehicle exhaust

8. Improper ventilation for gas dryers

9. Disconnected or damaged water heater flue

Carbon monoxide is referred to as a "silent killer" and if you feel strange or suddenly feel sleepy, get fresh air, open windows and doors and turn off all appliances and fuel-burning devices. While carbon monoxide detectors aren’t foolproof they should be in every home.

Comments (1)

Joy Daniels
Joy Daniels Real Estate Group, Ltd. - Harrisburg, PA

Once again - very valuable information.  I am sorry I didn't realize you were posting.  I will bookmark this and reblog it later too!

Feb 13, 2013 10:32 AM