Successful builders are in tune with trends in fixtures and finishing touches that buyers want, especially when building a model home. Here are seven trends I’m witnessing in our local markets that will get you more showings for your property and move the buyer to SOLD.
1. Got granite? In the kitchen, granite countertops are the number one feature people are looking for, because it makes a kitchen look elegant and stylish. Granite is an ideal material for countertops because it’s non-porous and near diamond-hard. Choose a color that contrasts or compliments the color of the cabinets, like a light maple cabinet with a dark granite, or a dark granite with a dark cherry cabinet. This is a great place to add a little drama and excitement to the kitchen.
2. Eight miles high….well, not really, but a high ceiling in the family or living room is a big plus in today’s market. Perhaps it’s a metaphor, having plenty of space for leisure, when our lives are historically busier than ever.
3. Over your head….In the master bedroom, a tray ceiling can make it stand out from other homes your potential buyers will see. A tray ceiling is a rectangular architectural feature in the center of the room that is either inverted or recessed. Lighting is commonly used with the feature to break up an ordinary flat ceiling line. A feeling of spaciousness can be created by the look of the different levels - and the tray design can make a low ceiling look higher.
4. Little things mean a lot... Believe it or not, door handles play a role in how a prospective buyer feels when viewing your home. S-shaped door handles are the best choice for today’s market because the lever is easier to open than a knob, especially if a person’s hands are full, or the ability to grip is compromised. Choose brushed chrome, stainless steel or pewter to communicate up-to-date elegance.
5. Knock on wood... Today’s buyer wants wooden floors. Update the look with a medium to dark stain. Dark wood floors with light walls and furniture create a feeling of more space.
6. Like a rock….Stone or brick facing on the front of the house can convey a rich character and sense of history, while invoking the themes of natural and “green” important to a large percentage of today’s market. One of the current trends in home exterior is “back to nature” – helping the home blend with the natural colors of its surroundings. Real stone is worth the investment if you want to showcase a grand home in an affluent market. Today’s synthetic choices are more affordable, and indistinguishable from the real deal at the curb.
7. Fire…Speaking of the back-to-nature trend, buyers are asking for wood burning fireplaces again, although some people still like the cleanliness and easy maintenance of gas. You can amplify the natural feel of any fireplace by adding stone facing on the wall above it all the way to the ceiling.
Want to sell your current home now? You can use these ideas to to get more showings and better offers. Want advice on what choices would work best for showcasing your home? Contact Deborah Warner at 845-346-6460 or Deborah@warner.me
Deborah Warner sells new homes and resales in Orange County, NY, Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ.
««««« “Deborah uses a very effective sales process and works hard to execute it. In spite of encountering some unusual hurdles in the sale of my home, Deborah remained calm and professional in her interactions not only with me, but also our buyers and our buyers’ real estate agent.” --Tom M.
Subscribe to CommentsComment