In 1814, Dr. John Tyler, an eminent ophthalmologist and the first American-born physician to perform a cataract operation, owned a parcel of land near the courthouse square in Frederick, Maryland. The city made plans to extend Record Street south through Tyler’s land to meet West Patrick Street (the street behind his house). In fighting the city, Tyler discovered a local law that prevented the building of a road if work was in progress on a substantial building in the path of a proposed road. To spite the city, Tyler immediately had workmen pour a building foundation, which was discovered by the road crews the next morning.
Currently known as the Tyler Spite House a historic federal mansion in the heart of Frederick's Historic District. This prestigious address has been a private residence, used as a Bed & Breakfast and offices ( DBO zoning) adjacent to City Hall & 1 block from the Court House. this historic home has 17 rooms, 7 bedrooms, 4 full baths, 3 half baths, 9 fireplaces and the entire house has nearly 12,000 square feet and off street parking for 10 cars.
This property is currently offered for sale at $1,550,000 and was recently featured on Frederick's Holiday Candle Light House Tour.
It is located 50 miles North of Washington, DC. It has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been awarded a plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation