"Listing agents" are now the flavor of the week. Why? Because we are in a seller's market of course. There is nothing wrong with morphing your business plan based on market conditions, this is what good sales people do....and why they can stay in business through all the cycles of the real estate market.
In my market of Southern California, we have lost very few real estate agents during the tough times. Casual conversation at a party results in a results...and if it's not the person you're speaking to, then it's their friend/cousin/neighbor. But of course anyone can really slap a sign in a front yard and write about upgraded counter tops.
A LISTING AGENT is much more....or should be. I too have been focusing on listings. After many years of working with buyers, I have a good grasp on what makes for a good Orange County Listing Agent. So my goal is to be one.
What I've noticed is that the happiest sellers are those I never talk to. Let me explain. The sellers hire someone to sell their home. They do not expect to do all the work. I've actually gone to open houses where the sellers are there alone. Really? And I have often spoken to sellers during showings and have had them ask ME what I think of the market.
This is what your agent should be doing for you!!!
But too many Orange County Listing Agents view listings as a numbers game. They get a contract signed for a length of time, slap up that sign, write the brief description and then hope for the best. In a seller's market, this could be all they need. But would these people really be in business.....ok, thriving in business...years from now? I doubt it! The key to successful business is referrals and repeat business.
To get this, I concentrate on the needs/goals of the client, in this case the seller!
The key to my success as a Listing Agent is that I never sign a long term contract. The Mutual Agreement can be canceled at any time and for any reason. I will earn the listing each and every day! Everything you read below is done up front, at my own cost and effort and with no additional fee. Obviously I can't speak about commission in a blog post (I read the rules) but I am very competitive with that as well.
So again....with no extra charge and no long term contract a listing of mine gets the following benefits:
- A $1000 credit with my handyman/gardener to spruce up the house and address minor issues prior to the listing
- 4 hours with a stager to maximize the home's assets
- Professional photography
- For homes listed over $900,000, aerial photography
- Professional Video which is narrated to point out the best aspects of the home, uploaded on HGTV Front Door and YouTube.
- VIP placement and marketing on Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and over 90 other sites via ListHub. (who better than I can speak to the value of your home? All leads from these sites come directly to me
- Targeted marketing to move up/down buyers in our area
- Targeted marketing to relocation clients moving into this area.
- Open Houses and Broker Previews, if desired