It's an exciting time for new home construction in Flagstaff, Arizona!
As of this writing, three new townhome communities offer Flagstaff buyers a fabulous range of new townhome choices: Pinnacle Pines, Pine Knoll Village and Forest Springs. Single family home construction is on the rise, and both Capstone Homes and Miramonte Homes are scheduled to build single family homes and townhomes in the Presidio neighborhood, formerly known as 'Presidio in the Pines'.
In a small mountain town like Flagstaff, where inventory is now scarce and available homes often need everything from counters, fixtures and flooring to gut rehabs, new homes are in demand. Buyers are excited about building new!
But. Buyer Beware!
While the listing agent at the sales office is a great source of information for your new home, the plain fact is that the listing agent represents the interests of the Builder/Developer only. The listing agent can not and does not represent your interests as a Buyer. This is stated explicitly in most new homes sales contracts.
For example, Item 4 on one of our new homes sales contracts states: "Buyer acknowledges that the on Site Sales Representative represents Seller and does not represent Buyer".
This does not mean that the listing agent wants to do you harm. It simply means that if you negotiate your new home contract directly with the listing agent, legally and contractually, the listing agent is representing the interests of the developer/builder, not yours.
Protect Your Interests at No Additional Cost!
At absolutely no additional cost to you, a Buyer's Agent can represent you - and only you - in your purchase of a new construction. By asking a Buyer's agent to accompany you to the sales office, and by making sure your Agent is knowledgeable about the new homes process, you acquire a professional ally whose only legal and fiduciary interests are yours.
What Will a Buyers Agent Do?
A good Buyers agent who understands the new homes process will do the following at the very least:
- Thouroughly explain the new homes contract, which is different from our standard resale contract. Because of the monetary investment developers put forth in constructing each new home, new homes contracts favor the Developer/Seller rather than the buyer.
- Suggest Addenda to the contract, if necessary, that can protect your interests. The Listing agent can not suggest changes or addenda to the contract on your behalf.
- Make sure everything you believe to be true is in writing, signed by you and the Developer/Builder. Do you know how many times a despairing sentence begins with "Well.. he/she TOLD me...."
- Accompany you to the design center, making sure you understand options, upgrades and pricing, and again, making sure it all gets written and signed. It pays to have an extra set of eyes and ears!
- Follow up with the Listing Agent on any discrepancies, and represent you when any items require further negotiation. Again, the Listing Agent negotiates only on the Builder/Developer's behalf.
- Oversee construction, making sure your questions are answered and you are fully updated.
- Accompany you to the walkthrough and help you define your punchlist.
- Make sure your home is in perfect condition when you move in.
Eileen Schreiber - Experienced New Homes Agent
As a former custom home builder in Flagstaff, Arizona, I understand new home building, from choosing floorplans, options and upgrades, to financing and building your home. Currently I represent Buyers in three of our new home communities - Ponderosa Trails, Pinnacle Pines and Forest Springs.
As one of Flagstaff's top 3 Buyers Agents, I ensure that all Buyers' needs are represented in a non-confrontational, cooperative way with our Listing Agents. The idea is to work toward a common goal, not alienate the Sellers! (See reviews on Zillow - Real People, Real Reviews.)
My new homes website lets you know that I stay informed about Flagstaff's new homes communities and the products they offer. I update the website as new information is released!
Thinking about buying a new construction or building a home in Flagstaff? Call or email me!
For Flagstaff's easiest, most complete website: