Engaging the Website Lurkers as we discussed in Part 1 “Lurking Versus Commenting”. if you missed this article it may help you to review before heading into this article on Engagement of Lurkers.
If you don’t want to take the time, a Lurker is someone who visits your website, posted article or blog and never leaves a comment. Statistics show that over 90% of website visitors never leave comments. This means your effectiveness to engage website, blog or article traffic can be improved by 90%! That is the upside waiting for you.
So what’s the big deal, you are thinking, I get a few comments. OK, here’s the big deal engagement means dollars, it could be dollars saved for you clients, more products sold or whatever other items. It means higher ranking for your website, it means engagement of real people that need your expertise or they would not have visited your website, blog or article to begin with, that the big deal.
Knowing that you worked so hard to attract them, are you now going to let the “Lurkers” go so easy!
Here is how to get your Lurkers engaged and commenting.
- Ask For Comments, couldn’t be more simple. If you don’t ask you don’t receive.
- Engage with video, keep them on you site longer. Google likes it too!
- Moderate you blog, website or article comments calmly.
- Be aware of the antagonizer and treat them kindly so you don’t turn them into a cyber stalker. (Article 1 Lurking Versus Commenting)
- Engaging Content, useful information that keeps clients coming back because you are sharing information users of your blog, website or published articles want and need.
- Offer something for comments, a free download, a discount coupon or other useful tool that can be seen as a benefit by the user.
- Thank any commentator for their time and useful comment. Find a silver lining in every comment. Nothing creates more comments than a moderator that calmly controls comments and offers kind appreciation. It makes people feel good and shows they can engage without fear of being criticized.
- Use a quote from one of the comments in your response to show emphasis and importance of the commentator. Helping other Lurkers know they can comment and possibly be recognized as offering a great comment.
- Treat your comments as gold, they can turn into gold if handled correctly. You need to offer a share button. Lurkers have a tendency to share websites they like with friends. Make it east to share your website to drive more readership and traffic. Google likes this too, but you’ll like it more!
- Keep current, keeping your blog, website or articles current means sustained traffic. If you don’t your “Lurkers” will wonder off to some other blog, website or articles posted and likely be lost forever.
Yes, to have a top performing blog, website or article post takes work. The reward is engagement and comments by “Lurkers” that form the missing 90% we all seek!
Thanks for your time and be sure to leave a comment. I respond to every comment and appreciate your time and effort.
Let us know how you capture the “Lurkers”!