The Squantum section of Quincy is a peninsular at the northern end of Quincy Bay. Squantum got its name from an Indian guide to Myles Standish, named Squanto. Facing north the views are of the Boston skyline and the Boston Harbor Islands. Marina Bay is a section within Squantum.
Squantum used to be a popular summer destination and was a resort community before the road was built making access easier. Squantum is now a year round community.
The Marina Bay section was the site of one of the worlds first regional airports, and Amelia Earhart helped to develop it and was on the first flight from the airstrip. The airstrip was originally called Dennison Airport before becoming a Naval Air Strip. The base was commissioned in 1923 and thae bases first Commander was Richard Bird, who later commanded the exploration of Antartctica.
The Moswetuset Hummock is a park at the beginning of Squantum and was the seat of Indian Chief Chickatabot, shows the influence of Native Americans in the area. Moswetuset means hill shaped like an arrow, and some believe this is where the name Massachusetts came from.
Squaw Rock at the end of Squantum is a 17 acre park overlooking the ocean. This was the landing site of Miles Standish and his guide Squanto.
Lond Island is owned by the City of Boston with the only access coming from Squantum acroos the Long Island Bridge.
During war times when the Fore River Shipyard was owned by Bethlehem Steel Corporation, this area was used as a secondary shipyard and 35 destroyers were built there.
The area of Squantum is estimated to be over 250 million years old, and caused by a glacier.