Sheila's LAST sentence is something that many real estate agents will be facing from would-be clients in the next few years...having SOLD their home over a long and painful process - they will not be BUYING and they will be RENTING for the near future.
After a very bumpy road for many, many months, I am hoping to move this month. My buyers have a commitment and my new home is almost ready. It has been almost ready for a long time but now: but ready or not I can actually see myself living there. I have learned a great deal in this process and most of it has been eye opening. Here are a few observations that may be of help to anyone who is selling and buying and fixing at the same time:
1) If you are able, when you find the home you want, buy it. Regret is tough to divorce so try and avoid it.
2) When you interview agents make sure you are working with the best: it matters a lot.
3) When hiring a contractor to renovate your home, be sure you interview many, check references, and then and this is crucial, make sure you have a performance provision in your contract. I have a really skilled and honest guy working for me, but the job that was going to take 6-8 weeks is now in month 9. That shouldn't happen.
4) Trust your gut in all things. This is so important. Personally, every time I deferred to someone else, I was dissatisfied with my choices. It is wonderful to have help and the insights of others, but the bottom line is don't be a pleaser when it comes to your home.
5) Remember on those dark days, that this too shall pass. Everything moves and we all get somewhere eventually. As stressed as you may be, reflect on those people without a place to live at all and then do something to help someone else.
6) Work hard, prepare yourself and give yourself permission to be as you are: up or down, happy or sad, and ready to move forward or not.
I am in the final days of my journey, and while I wouldn't want to go through this again any time soon or ever, I do know that once I am in my new home I will be glad I had the strength and foresight to get there.
When you think about real estate, it is time to focus. I have helped people for close to thirty years in all areas, and made the process not only simple but enjoyable. Why should you go it alone or settle for less? Call me and find a partner to help, direct and get you where you want to be.
The Real Estate Whisperer...... Consultant, Trainer, Facilitator