Everyone seems to have too much clutter in their home, so having a neighborhood garage sale is a great way to get rid of it as well as to have some fun in the process. Neighborhood sales offer shoppers a great way to take in several sales in one convenient location. Here are some tips and suggestions to organizing one in your neighborhood:
- Ask your neighbors who might be willing to participate, then set a date well in advance to give everyone enough time to gather what they want to sell.
- Advertise the event as a neighborhood sale in a local newspaper or on a classified ad web site like Craig's List. Remember to include your address and what days and times the sale will take place.
- Place directional signs at nearby key intersections.
- Be prepared for early arrivals. Decide whether you want to allow ‘early birds' or if you will begin only at the specified time.
- Start with an adequate amount of change and small bills on hand. Decide whether you will accept checks.
- After the sale, gather everyone's unsold items to make a single trip to a donation charity.
- Finally, organize an after-sale pot luck dinner or barbecue for all the neighbors.